Wierd Fender Thumbrest

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoRida, Jan 30, 2004.

1. LoRida

Apr 15, 2003

I always wondered why Fender puts the thumbrest on some of the basses bellow the high-G string?? I mean what's the point? What good does It do? I never had one of those in my hand so I don't know?

Can anyone explain that one to me?

(BTW: I preffered the pre-upgraded TB)
  2. When the Precision Bass was first designed, they expected that the players would anchor their fingers on the "thumb rest" and use their thumb to pluck the strings.
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    acutally that was called a "finger rest" where you would rest your fingers and pluck with your thumb..

a "thumb rest" is where you rest your thumb and use you fingers...

i like this one..different..you don't like it because you are not used to it yet....take change in stride and welcome it with open arms

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How long did that era of basiists using their thumb last? Im guessing not long?
  5. well, almost from the beginning people used their fingers, but fenders had the "fingerrest" on the g string side until 1974, 73 was the last year.
  6. The first significant person to play a Fender bass was Monk Montgomery, (Wes Montgomery's brother). I think he may have used the thumbrest. He's just about the only bass player I can think of who plucks with his thumb all the time. Almost everyone after him used their fingers, or a pick.
  7. I realize that...he referred to it as a thumbrest, that's why I did!
  8. Ahh, I've been wondering what that thing did myself. Sounds cool, I figured it might have been for pick players but it looked a little weird for that purpose. Guess it's good for the thumb.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I put my thumbrest in a spot I have seen in few basses. I put it between the pickup and the bridge- it gives me the feeling that I can anchor my thumb in a position similar to that of a J-pickup, even though I have a P-Bass.

Although I usually use a floating thumb technique so it hasn't been _all_ that useful. :meh: But it looks cool. :D
  10. You are correct but, it was called aTUG BAR back in the day, not a thumb or finger rest!