wierd intonation past 12th fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sexyphatty, Sep 16, 2003.

1. sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    so when I play my f string (I tune CGCF) past the 14th fret it sounds like i turned a tremelo effect on.. any suggestions before I go nuts adjusting this and that...
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I posted this on a thread below dealing with
    DGCF tuning, this applies here also, with some
    additional caveats.

You didn't give any information on bass type,
    bridge type, saddles etc.

I guess I have to make some assumptions:

You have a 34" 4 string bass.
    It was originally strung EADG with string
    gauges appropriate to that bass setup.
    You have lowered the E string 4 half steps, and the others two without any other significant setup changes.

Now you wonder why the instrument sounds like crud. See amplitude statement above.

You may investigate using a B string gauge for the C.

Also,pick a heavier gauge string for the F. The string gauge you have on now is too light to perform well at this tension.

I wouldn't adjust anything other than the string gauges at this point.

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, you are just sooooooo smart!!

4. sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    accually I am using a five string set, and do the same on 2 other basses without this issue... the bass is a fender jazz (getty lee) which has a badass II bridge.
  5. Thor

comes from hanging out with baddadd moreflos like you too much ...

You got anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add here, Mr
    Fuzzy little head?

========= ==========================

Ok, now I'm going to try to get you to come closer to answering your own question.

If you turn off the power, and listen with your ear to the body, does the bass make this noise?
    The answer to this tells us whether the problem is mechanical, or electronic.

So we just go through a process of elimination and hopefully isolate the offending element.

I didn't ask, and I should, are the neck length and string gauges the same on the other 2
    basses? IE are you using EXACTLy the same type, guage and brand of strings on your GLee as the others that don't do this?

[Having your profile filled out on your gear can
    sometimes save response time for these type of questions... ]

6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, that better not be an illegal substance that i'm smoking on your avatar!!!
  7. Thor

That was CONSTRUCTIVE there
    phatty boy!

| NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM | is not part of my
    schtick! You Texans are takin' it over!
    Not me. I'm paying $1.88 at the pump.
  8. sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    basses and strings are the same... well the others are just mim jazz basses... but the same measurements and I buy the strings all at the same time... and yes I can still hear the wobling when it is not plugged in... I'm about to adjust the bridge satle length (adjust the intonation) to see if that does anything...
  9. If your pickups are too close to the strings, you'll get that effect. Adjusting is easiest with only one pickup. Fret the note at the highest fret and screw the pickup down until the warble stops, one side at a time (if there's no warble on one side, raise it until it warbles, then lower it until the warble goes away). With two, what I do is screw down the bridge pickup kind of low because it exerts less pull on the strings than the neck pickup. Then I de-warble the neck pickup, then raise the bridge pickup back up and de-warble it. After you get the warble out, screw down the loudest side of the pickup until the strings are all the same volume. Do this one pickup at a time.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this should be highlighted!!

So it is like the famous doctor joke :

Man goes to Doctor - Doctor, it really hurts if I do this!!

Doctor : well don't do that!!!

11. sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003

Thank you... finally someone tells me something I don't already know...
  12. Thor

I think you should highlight it. (You missed the line about the assumptions.)

It's hard to help people who can't, or won't, even give you a basic overview of their situation. So now we have to play 50 questions to get at the root of the problem.

I am glad Kurasawa had a good suggestion here. I hope it works. I would be interested to know of it solves the problem. I would also be interested to know if the bass had the problem before detuning.

Or if the detuning caused the warbling on this bass.

All those questions were asked to elicit information to help assist the poster find a solution.

I don't really see anything wrong with that,
    Mr. Lindfield.
  13. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    I also find this to be true but the only place I run into this problem is on Jazz Bass pickups. To close to the strings and you get a terrible crazy sounding warbling harmonic demon that drives you nuts :D
  14. sexyphatty

Jul 11, 2003
    I backed off the pick ups and the warbling went away... Thanks very much!!!