Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wierd one.. need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pgnbstrd, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Hey there everyone, i have a wierd problem with a bass, and I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions.
    ok here we go
    I have a yamaha bb4n frettless.
    I purchased an all parts replacement freted jazz neck( great quality by the way)
    I swapped necks, the jazz neck fit in perfectly. Now here's the problem.
    No matter where i move the bridge the freted note are all one step sharp.moving the bridge it's self or the saddles dosen't matter it's always sharp. my open g is a g, but fretted at the 12th fret it is an A. The harmonic even moved from the back to the front frett at the 12th fret.

Now here are my questions.
    Could it be that the neck will only work on a jazz or p bass?
    Could it be that my bridge is a pos and i need a new one to intonate the new neck properly
    Could me neck be garabage?
    This is my first attempt at switching neck on a bass so please forgive any ignorances i may have

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

More than likely the neck will only work on a Fender, or a very close copy.

How many frets are on the neck? How many were on the original neck?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never mind. I see that it was a fretless. My research on google on fretted BBN4's showed that they are 24 fret basses. Unless that neck has 24 frets, and the fingerboard does not hang over the end of the neck, it will not work your bass.

4. 21 on the replacement 24 on the fretless

5. it does over hang.....darn.. know anyone with a cheap j body for sale?

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    With your original fretless neck the scale length was probably, aproximately 34 inches (measured nut to bridge saddles). My guess is with the fretted "Jazz" neck your scale length has been reduced to somewhere between 32-33 inches.

That "Jazz" neck is made to be mounted on a Fender style body where it would actually be mounted 1 or 2 inches farther away from the bridge.

7. Ah! a new embryonic jazz bass! I love it when a new bass comes into the world.

Ring around luthiers to see if anyone has an old body lying around they'd let you have cheap. Otherwise, Stewmac ones are fine.

Or you can make your own!

8. thanks for everyone's help...
    looks like i'll be getting a jazz body for it..
    thanks again