Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd sounds coming from my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bkchang79, Feb 28, 2003.

1. I just installed my J-retro/pickups today and for some reason my bass is sounding wierd. When I play freted notes on the E string and the upper neck of the G-string it sounds like I have a flanger pedal on. I changed my EMG's out for the Fender CS 60s pickups and I notice the poles don't fall between the strings if that makes a difference. I also get some hiss when I turn boost the highs, turn on passive mode, and when I play around with the blend pot.

2. As an owner of a J-retro, I'm going to direct you over to the Dudepit to get an answer to your question. John East - the man behind the J-retro - has a forum over there and he is just the man to answer your questions. You'll also find lots more info on the J-retro as it's used by many of the pitters.

Hope this helps

3. I wouldn't worry too much about it - I get comments all the time when I'm playing - like "...jeesus! what the hell are those weird sounds coming out of that guy's bass???"

I just ignore them ;)

- Wil

4. The weird sound could be that one of your pickups is wired out of phase with the other (like the in-between positions on a Strat). I'd just check everything carefully against a wiring diagram, there are tons on the Web.

5. ninefoldbass

ninefoldbass Guest

Feb 26, 2003
    wow.. someone else has my problem.. haha.. i wired my crappy squier p special(gimme a break, i was a broke, lefty bassist).. and i wired it like a p bass with a seymour duncan quarter pounder.. my e string does that flanger thing to.. its annoying..

6. I found out the problem with the flanger effect. Your pickups may be set too high. I lowered my pickups and the flanger effect went away.