Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd Squire!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I posted this in the P bass thread but no replies, so here it is again!

My question is has anyone see a Squire Standard Series bass that had no pickguard? I know their 'Modern' series comes with none, but my bass is the only Standard I have seen without one. There are no holes, and it was purchased new, so there were no mods. It came without a PG from the factory!

[​IMG]

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Probably made in the same factories as the GSR is... Alot of the copmanies have lower end basses that look indentical to that.

3. Whoa, I thought this would be a joke threadn because spelled weird and Squier wrong, but I guess not.

People, Fend-er = Squi-er, not Squire!

4. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    My old Squire P-bass didn't come with a pickguard. Nothing odd or rare about it.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice socks there :D

6. it could be a Jazz special.

7. I just glanced at the title and because of the exclamation point read it as "Weird Squirel".

8. That's all I wanted to know. But why would it come without a pickguard in the first place?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Squier*

10. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    Not every bass in the world has a pickguard.

11. I know this, but it IS supposed to be standard. Is there only one factory producing Squiers, or what? If this is an assembly line, you'd think every bass would be made the same (at least asthetically).

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well it has a jazz pickup and a P bass pickup and basses like that usualy dont have a pickguard (when they are Fender style) so calm down.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Fender often does "custom order" runs for music store chains who then can sell them as "exclusives". No pickguards, special colors or hardware, etc.

That's probably what this bass is.

14. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    What you got there is a late eighties Squier Contemporary P bass. which was an affordable version of the then popular Jazz Bass special (The only Jazz bass with a Precision body) which was used by players such as Duff Mckagan (guns N roses) It was the trend in those days to not have a plate on your bass.

[​IMG]

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My eyeballs stung so much that I gave the boy a pair of pants. For the love of god, man...

:D ;)

[​IMG]

16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I myself have owned a Squier without a p-gaurd,there are a few different types of squiers,the standard and the lower quality affinity.
    My bass was a SQUIER JAZZ bass STANDARD,which are a tad bit better made than the affinity models.
    Right now they are selling a P-Bass Squier model that has some different options than the regular old affinity P-Bass,its in the 2003 catalog.
    If you look hard enuff you can find a good one amidst a bunch of bad apples,there quality varies highly from one to the next(like the mexican series basses)