1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wierd things with my WT800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Alright so the other day i finally got the new to me WT800 out and gigging. For those not familiar its two power sections you can run either Hi/Lo , Bridged, or just run one side. For this instance i was running just the "Lo" side, i believe, but the crossover was off so it was getting the full signal.

Here's the weird thing. while i was playing i noticed the preamp clip light flashing as im used to seeing, but i started noticing the "output limit" lights flash too, now im new to eden heads but i assumed this was normal, kind of the same as seeing the preamp clip light, as long as it only flashes a bit and doesnt stay steady glowing then its ok, well then the sound turned to crap. sounded like a speaker going out and thats what i thought it was. i switched to the SWR amp in my rack and the sound was clean, switched to the other side of the eden head and it was clean again, and later that night tested the original side and the sound was clean:confused::confused::confused:

is it possible that the power amp just got a little over heated and broke up but then cooled back down? does anyone have a clue what i'm talking about?

sorry for the length, any help or input is appriciated

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Was the speaker correctly wired to the amp?just plugged in one side....not the bridge output?
    Was the balance turned full to the side you were using?
    Was the compressor engaging too much....distorting?
    Was the enhance turned down below a quater ? or off
    Do not engage the EQ knobs, especially bass boost beyond 1 or 2 clicks past 12 oclock
    Is your speaker 4 ohms? loud enough.
    It is better to bridge that amp for best volume output.
    Beware the clip light at the output, as that can crease your speakers, if too much.

3. ok, here goes

Was the speaker correctly wired to the amp?just plugged in one side....not the bridge output? <b>yes</b>
    Was the balance turned full to the side you were using?<b>yes</b>
    Was the compressor engaging too much....distorting? <b> no, i dont run the compression </b>
    Was the enhance turned down below a quater ? or off <b> i think it may have been off </b>
    Do not engage the EQ knobs, especially bass boost beyond 1 or 2 clicks past 12 oclock
    Is your speaker 4 ohms? loud enough. <b> its been plenty loud with my SWR for almost a year </b>
    It is better to bridge that amp for best volume output.
    Beware the clip light at the output, as that can crease your speakers, if too much. <b> what does creasing mean</b>

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    creasing I believe in this case is literal creasing of the cone. My midbass speakers in my car have this.

Suggesion: run it bridged.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    you can see a physical line [crease] run around the diameter of the the paper speaker cone.....when this happens the speaker will sound distorted at higher volumes.
    Did you try the speaker out of the other side of the amplifier to see if you get the bad sound out of both sides of the WT800?

6. yes, and the other side sounded fine, i mean as far as i could tell. it sounded just a bit like the preamp tubes were driving, but definitely not anywhere near as bad as the first side

and i cant run it bridged, my 8x8 is 4ohms, ive got the 800a, it only bridges into 8ohms

7. the 8x8 has speakers with the lines running the circumference of it already...this is what they look like (one of my backup drivers)
    P2250046.

where would i look to see the creases?

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    That speaker looks healthy to me.
    You would see a crack type line running around the edge between the fold and where the cone is attached to the surround.

I have to say I have only ever experienced this phenominan with my Eden 10inch speakers........someone posted a picture...I think on the dudepit and I went...Ahhh that what has happened to mine.
    now I always look out for it.
    Especially on used cabs.....Eden particularly

If your problem is only on one side of your poweramp, then it looks like a repair is in order.

Do a word search in this forum and also ask the guys in the Eden electronics forum
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/default.asp

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Have taken off the lid yet and had a look in there?
    Make sure it is clean and blow any dust out.
    I take it you bought the amp used? and is it possible you just inherited the previous owners problems?
    private sale or store?
    If store, take it back and let them get it sorted for you.

But one side of that amp is not a very loud 400watts and if your band is loud I would think you would need more...ime

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Do you have your WT800 racked in a case?
    If so, does that case have ventilation holes in the sides, or enough room inside for air to pass across the sides of the amp?

What speaker cab were you running it into?

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I own and play through an Eden WT800. Have had it for a couple of years. Good amp, no doubt about it.

When I first got it, the sound would sometimes go bad for no apparent reason. At first I had no idea, I was afraid that something was seriously messed up with my amp. But after a while I discovered that the source of the problem was the effects loop. The stereo effects loop is built in such a way that when no jack is inserted into the FX return, the signal goes directly from the pre-amp; and when you insert a jack it'll break that path - there's a switching function in the jack socket. This swithcing function can deterioate after some years (dust, humidity, corrosion... many possible reasons). I discovered this by inserting a short jack patch cable from the send to the return (no FX, just a jack). And that was it - the problem went away. Later I had those jacks cleaned, and after this I've had no problems at all.

So. If your amp is old (like ten years or more, for example mine is fifteen) then you might have bad connection in the effects return jacks.
    That sort of thing can manifest itself at any time apparently (but usually at the most inconvenient time IME).

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    He used a SWR henry 8x8

Mine was always in a 2 space SKB and had plenty of ventilation

13. yes sir, its racked in like this....seems that theres plenty of ventilation around the fan in the back
    P2040025.
    theres open vent spaces above and below it and nothing covering it in the back. i need to get it over to my tech anyway just to have them look at it.

but as far as the 400w not being loud, is that just an eden thing? i ran that swr head for a year without being drowned out....is it just that this amp begs to be bi-amped or something?

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I found Eden watts not as loud as other brand watts.
    I had to always bridge that amp to get enough volume.

My MarkBass amp seems to have more immediate volume

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    It sounds like there is an ssue with it. Have you gone to Eden's forum in search of help?

16. ah, the benefit of having a backup amp shows itself already. im gonna have to take it over to my tech to get it looked at i guess.