Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd Truss Rod.... MY GOODNESS!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Jul 22, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I have an I banez SR505 BM, 5 string bass, I know all of this is my fault but I just want to understand some things...
    First of all the problem started when I used the wrong hex wrench to adjust the truss rod and stripped the nut,Ok then I went out and baught an easy out, and called Ibanez and they sent me a new truss rod nut. Ok so after playing a gig, I baught the bass home and started to use the easy out to remove the stripped nut, it seemed to work for the most part as far as getting it screwed into the truss nut. So I begin turning the truss rod in the loosening direction and after a few seconds it seemed that it wouldn't turn any more. I'm figuring that if I'm loosening the nut it should turn very easy but it semed harder then when I would tighten the nut to remove relief. So now I'm wondering why it's so tight in the loosen driection. Any way, I'm fuiguring I need to turn harder I but then the easy out won't turn the nut anymore and has now stripped the niside of the hex nut more and just turns inside the hex nut and won't even come out... So now I'm upset. Ok seeing as how turning isn't making anything happen, I get a pair of plyers and begin to pull atempting to remove the easy out thing, but now I notice that the truss rod nut is comming out like I wanted so I continue to pull, but NOW I start seeing some blue plastic wraped around a long piece of metal THEN I notice that the truss rod nut is WELDED to a round rod with a flat metal rod going down the legnth of the whole thing.... So now I KNOW I've probably messed up SOMETHING so I take a small hammer and tap the rod back down the hole and then tap a metric hex rench into the stripped nut to see if I can get it to grip, it actuallt gripped pretty well but now the nut won't turn at all I don't understand why would the hex nut be welded to the rod, how is it suppose to turn that way in the first place? Now I know that some of you will probably get a big laugh out of this as I probably will, once this situation is resolved, but right now I'm really upset, because now i have an extreme neck relief and the bass feels terrible. I'm just wondering does anbody know how much it might cost me to get a whole replacement neck? I called ibanez and the guy on the phone told me that the neck would cost me the list price if I got it directly from them wich is a little over $500.00, so what wold that probably mean if I sent the bass in for the new neck through the dealer? Also does anyone know of a decent bass 5 string bass that has a truss rod nut that can be removed and not welded to the rod? this was REALLY dissapointing because I was all set to put in the new nut and come to find out the the nut is welded to the rod. Now the probelm is I COULD go ahead and probably have a new neck put on , but I have a gig Saturday and Sunday and can't wait to have the work done. THAT gives me no choice but to buy another bass, I'm thinking about another type of Ibanez but I don't want to buy a bass that has to have the whole neck replaced if the truss rod nut gets striped. PLEASE any information or sugestions would be most welcome... :confused: :crying:

2. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    dude thats a serious bummer. all basses ive had that ive adjusted have just had allen key heads like ikea furniture. for the most part you dont take nuts off truss rods.. most are now dual action meaning that the nut is an actual part of the rod itself. old gibsons use single way truss rods and yea you can take the nut off of those easily. really i dont know what to say other than know what your getting into when you start tinkering with your truss rods.... oh and stay away from ibanez basses there the pinto of the bass world..IMHO.. again man you have my sympathy.

3. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks Spacecanoe for your kind words and help about the trussrod, now that you mention it it makes more sense that the truss rod nut would be part would be of the rod itself if it's functions in a dual action way. I just didn't know that the SR505 had a dual action rod, I thought it was like the rods where the truss rod nut could be replaced simply by removing the nut, but seeing now that the rod has to make adjustment both ways I see why the nut would be part of the rod. So why did Ibanez send me another nut? (wich is smaller that the one in the bass) At any rate what you told me really helps because from now on I'll be mindful of the dual action rod and learn more about how it functions. I do know how to adjust the neck to add or take away neck relief but I should have been paying attention as to what allen wrench I was using, this one was a metric wrench but looked at the time just like the one that came with the bass and I grabed and used the wrong one and it took no time to strip it, I WISH I had been paying better attention. NOW I'm just hoping that it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get this neck replaced.
    Thanks again man your information helped me to better understand something.

4. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    yea replacing a neck is seriously a kick to the balls.. it can totally change an instruments feel and sound..how much did the bass cost you? you might be better off just selling that one as is cutting your losses and getting a new stick to play. replacing a neck is easy but it could be a real tone killer.. or it could work the other way.. make it a million times better.. who knows! lifes a gamble

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think most rods are still single way... FenderMusicmanetc

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If the whole rod was coming out when pulled by the easyout, why not pull the whole thing out so you can see what's wrong with it?

7. I agree. If the thing can be freed up, You can "save" the rod by having a slot cut into the nut-end, so you can make adjustments with a screwdriver....

Pop the rod back in and yer good to go.

Ric rods are made to be fully removable. I had no idea Ibeenhads were the same way. But technically, all dual-action rods supposedly can.

8. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Yea I pulled the rod out just enugh to know that (my goodness that's the TRUSS ROD!) about 3 inches of it was out. I taped it back in and then tapped a larger allen wrench in to teh nut to see if i could get it to turn, the wrench did take hold but it was like the rod was stuck or something because it woulden't turn for anything, I also don't think it's conected to anything inside the neck, or is it suppose to be screwed into something inside the neck? I don't know....
    I also forgot to mention that with all this going on, there is a small thin but feelable crack in the back of the neck right where the neck and head stock meet.

9. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm interested in purchasing a Dean Jeff Berlin Signature Series bass with a stripped out truss rod nut. Will I run into these same problems trying to replace it? I was under the impression it was a pretty easy job, though I don't know how to actually get the truss rod nut off.

10. If it's indeed a dual action trussrod, it's not attached to anything in the neck. That's part of the beauty of it.

11. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    There's no doubt about it being a two pc. rod...it should just slide right out of the neck. Pull it out and replace it.

Wd Music out of Ft. Walton beach sells that rod...or something similar...and I'll bet Ibanez will sell you one too. You might look at LMII.com too....

In fact, what you should do, is go ahead and pull it out..inspect it, and understand HOW IT FUNCTIONS....at the very worst, you can have your local machine shop weld a new nut on there....

12. It's sort of unusual but he's got a single action trussrod with a headstock adjustment and the threaded portion is back at the heel. I bet when he removes the entire TR, he'll find that the other end of the flat bar has a long threaded nut welded to it and the round rod is threaded into that. This is essentially the same TR the Essex has except that it's got the adjustment nut on the other end. The idea of this is to make the adjustment end have as small a crossection as possible and the heavier anchor nut end be at the heel.

I would bet anything that the crack that now exists comes from forcing the TR through the small hole that only designed to have the adjustment nut pass through it. That cracked the back of the neck.

13. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks for all of your input, you all brought up some interesting sugestions, and since I'm working on getting the neck replaced anyway, I'm going to take another look at it and give a last ditch effort to try and remedy the problem myself. I talked to the people at Ibanez and the neck I need is $523.00 (List Price) Wich is way more than I want to pay, but I notice when I see something's list price in most cases, the street price in quite lower and I hope this will be the case with the neck. I had to go and get another bass because I need it for two gigs, I got an Ibanes SR605 6 string, the truss rods in this bass adjust like butter and don't even take a lot to ad or remove relief from the neck. I really like the bass but when I have the action and neck relief set just like I like it some of my upper frets buzz quite a bit, but the rest of the neck sounds and feels GREAT. I talked to the tech at the music store where I baught it and he said that I can bring it in and get a free setup within 30 days. Now I'm wondering here, would this problem be fixed by leveling the frets? if any of you great luthiers can give me any info on what fret leveling is suppose to do and what a good fret leveling job is all about please inform me so I'll know what to expect. I've seen the work of some of the luthiers here and the detailed work on the basses and I am amazed out of my skin, I WISH I had a fraction of that kind of talent.

14. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Well I get a free setup as long as I do it within 30 days of purchase... I can tell that some frets are a little higher than others and need leveling. It can be a great bass if it had a good setup, the reason I say that is because I've played on much cheaper basses with VERY low action and no buzz whatsoever...