Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd tube...need help idenifying...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, May 29, 2004.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    My SVTIII - Pro came with a total of 5 tubes. I am in the process of replacing the preamp tubes.

4 are easy - Sovtek; 7025; 12AX7WA

1 is mysterious that i need help identifying:

Hot Rods; 95-126-01; Made in Germany; 9306; SLM Electronics are printed on the tube. Is this another 12AX7?

Also, regarding the "WA" at the end of the 12AX7, what does this mean? Can any other similar tube be used in its place?

Thanks!

2. The fifth tube in that amp should be a 12AU7 (also known as a 6189 or a 5814 or ECC82 etc.). So that just might be another industrial designation for a 12AU7 type tube.

3. 9306 may also be a date code (6th week of 1993) are their any other numbers on that tube.

4. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Excellent! Thank you. :hyper:

I am going to replace them with EH tubes from the tube store. :cool:]

Just ordered them from the tube store. They will be here in a few days. I just saved a lot of money...they have them for $15.00/tube for Groove Tubes at the local store and I don't know how reliable those are.

Thanks for all of your help!

5. Back in the old days, a "W" meant a ruggedized tube, made to withstand the shock of big battleship guns going off, but nowadays I don't think a "W" labelled modern tube will stand up to those high specs. It still pretty much means a rugged tube, though.

Chris

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yep, the 95-126-01 is a 12AU7, that is just the SLM part number for the tube. For some reason we didn't put the type number on........possibly in the hope that you would buy all your replacements from us.........