Wierd Volume Knobs (fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 31, 2005.

1. I have a MIM Fretless Fender Jazzbass. It plays great and sounds very good considering it's all stock. But I have a little problem with this: If I turn both volume knobs all the way off, then slowly turn one of them back to full blast, there is practically no difference at all in volume until it gets to like 90%. Like the volume creeps up really really slowly for 90% of the turn, then when it gets to the last little bit, it just explodes from quiet to full blast.
    What's up with that? Anyone else have this problem?
  2. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    The pots used on MIM Fenders aren't the greatest. If you replace them with some CTS pots you'd probably be happier. I end up doing that on pretty much any bass I get if I decide to keep it for a while.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    There are two different sorts of pots, linear and non-linear (or logarithmic). I don't remember which one's best suited for what, but usually one kind is used for tone pots and the other one for volume pots, to get even response from the knobs. In MIM Fenders (at least all the ones I've tried) they seem to use the same type of pot for both tone & volume knobs, which is fine for the tone control but does exactly what you say to the volume controls.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like it's been rewired. MIM Fenders should come stock with a pair of logarithmic pots, rather than the linear pots it seems you have.
  5. Typically, logarithmic pots are used for volume controls and linear pots for tone controls.
  6. You can use either type of pot for the tone control but you would want to stay away from linear pots for Volume.