Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd wrist-pain!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I've been playing bass for around 4 months now, and during this time i've devoloped my skill alot, but i still got this stupid little wrist -pain i get after playing for sometime, i've tried changing to some various combination but none of it seem to work, i'd love to get some help, i get depressed sometimes watching all my favourite bass players just playing in wierd wrist positioning and can play a whole concert like that, they also play vertical to the ground as i do.

Thankfully //Phunky

2. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey Phunky, it's all about stamina. And stamina is all about strength. It's just gonna take time to build the strength and there's not much you can do other than playing bass to build that strenght.

The most important thing to do now is to develope techniques that won't cause damage. WARM UP!!! This is very important. Give yourself a good 10 minutes of light drillwork before you really start pounding. Also, if you feel pain ever, take a break. It's just not worth injuring yourself. I've spent years battling tendonitis and sore wrists. There's no way around it other then being carefull not to hurt yourself before you've built enough strength.

Find a strap position that you can reach things with your left hand while not binding up your right shoulder ( if you'r right handed)

3. Also make sure your wrist is as straight as possible. A lot of bass players play with a crooked wrist, which may look cool, but it certainly isn't cool for your wrist.

Also make sure you are as relaxed as possible.