Wife doesn’t care about my tone

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chicken Wing, May 8, 2021.

1. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Last night I tried to explain the sound difference between Flats and Rounds to my wife. She is supportive but thinks I am crazy (she is right).

I played the bass with Flats, explained that she should hear a lot of the fundamental bass sound, some mids, but not much else.

I plugged the bass with Rounds in, played the same line, and she got up and left the room. “It all sounds the same!” LOL

I must drive her crazy sometimes.

2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Yeah...........now ask her the difference between Celine Dion and Adele..............and give her the same reply.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Is your wife a bassist? An active member of TalkBass.com? If not, she is not in the demographic group.

It's like asking my mom what kind of water pump should Helio Castroneves use on his car.
    It's like asking Matt Ryan if he knows why the O line is pushing open that hole in front of him on 3rd and 1 when no receivers are open. He simply has no interest in knowing.

Mr_Moo, BassCliff, Winslow and 20 others like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

My situation is the exact opposite.

My SO is a guitarist/multi-instrumentalist, with a good voice and a fine musician in her own right. She’s the first to say: “Not your sound.” or “Tighten it up.” whenever she hears something she doesn’t like about my tone or time.

She can hear the difference between different types and brands of strings as well or better than I can.

Keeps me honest. And I appreciate it.

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If she knows the difference between bass and guitar, call it a win.

6. I would guess that the majority of any non-musician audience would agree.

A bass by any other name is still a bass.

Musicians care about tone more so than the people shaking their booties on the dance floor.

7. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    Instead of singing my beautiful wife a lullaby I explain to her the difference between a P-bass and a J-bass and why I'm building a PJ bass... puts her straight to sleep.... sadly I'm not kidding.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If she goes home after the gig with the bassist, call it a win.

9. Bassaga

Bassaga

Sep 4, 2015
    Arizona
    :laugh: Sometimes when my wife can't sleep, she asks me to talk to her about basses. It's super effective!

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree that it's about being in the musicians (or at least very-musically-aware) club.
    My wife is a very good singer and offered a scathing -and accurate- review of a guitarist's tone last night.
    Love that lady.

11. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Truth!

barrenelly and dkelley like this.
  12. I learned, decades ago, that I'm the only one who hears tone changes from my strings, or instrument. The audience doesn't care one bit, and never will.

TH63, barrenelly, ooglybong and 25 others like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think she's mostly right. :D

14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I don't care about your tone, either.

bobyoung53, Mpcorb, Vinny_G and 53 others like this.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

She's like 95% of the human race. If it sounds good, they don't care about the nuances of flats vs. rounds.

Really, only the bass player cares.

Sage wisdom above. Take heed!

barrenelly, dasherf17, Holdsg and 9 others like this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Hot girl: Wait, you’re not the guitar player?
    Me, taking far less time than usual to arrive at the right decision: yeah, I’m the guitar player.

It’s a hard lesson to learn, but really truly, nobody cares what you sound like so long as bass-type noises are coming from somewhere.

P. Aaron, Mr_Moo, barrenelly and 14 others like this.
  17. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Yep, and once it's in a mix, the only question is whether you can hear it. Everything else is lost on 99% of listeners.

TH63, barrenelly, dasherf17 and 10 others like this.
  18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I drive mine crazy, too, when I bring up gear. She just says, “That’s nice, dear.”. I learned a lot of years ago that that’s basically the wifespeak version of a Southerner’s, “Bless your heart.”. :D

She might not really care much, but at least she kind of understands. She’s a musician, too (classical clarinetist).

19. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Which bassist, though? It could be a multiple band gig.

Mr_Moo, mikewalker, Meaculpa and 3 others like this.
  20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I’m waiting for the amp with Gain, a tone knob that goes from mud to bright and a master volume

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021