Wife doesn’t care about my tone

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chicken Wing, May 8, 2021.

1. Hop Jam

Hop Jam

Feb 16, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    I agree with BadSanta here in terms of the dancers not giving a rats ass for tone, but that’s professionalism in a nut shell. Those people dance BECAUSE the musicians fret the details (pun intended).

mikewalker and Timmy Liam like this.
  2. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Other musicians I play with (including my wife, who is a keyboardist), if they say anything, might say something like "that other bass sounds more full" or "I can hear this one better, the other one was kinda muffled" or something along those lines. But even those vague comments only happen if I ask and, as a result, they paid particular attention to the bass.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    gebass6 and MynameisMe like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sorry for your problem, dude.

Rich Fiscus likes this.
  4. Just don't say. I am checking out how my bass will cut through with this hot drummer we hired and we are a having rhythm section practice at her house and BTW can I bring the Burgundy that your brother brought from France for refreshments.

She will then care for flats and rounds - because she will want to know what string type will hurt more when she flogs you with them. Rounds for breaking the skin faster OR flats for subdued but deep hematoma. If you combed your hair slick, took a shower - well she'll care about bass guitars' weights as well.

Outbush likes this.
  5. My wife cares deeply about my tone. In fact many times she has said “I don’t like you’re tone!” Funny thing though, I wasn’t even holding a bass at the time.
    :cautious:

6. My wife could care less.She hates bass and always complains about it being to loud. 41 years worth.A 1960's 2 transistor radio would sound great to her.Music wise, thats all she needs I guess LOL.

Pimpernel Smith and mikewalker like this.
  7. What's the best wife for metal?

mikewalker likes this.
  8. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    I’m just lucky my girlfriend cares to show an interest at all. When I’m working on a recording project, I play her a rough mix with vocals bass and drums so she can hear the bass, and she says things like, “I like I cen really hear the bass, you should put it out like that”

mikewalker likes this.
  9. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    My wife is an equestrian, I was thinking the same thing.

40Hz likes this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Marry that woman.

StevieMac and LowWay like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Horsewomen are indeed a breed apart. Mine is also a certified riding instructor and very much up on the whole horse “business” end of things (i.e. breeding and bloodlines, auction sales, thoroughbred racing, etc.) so her minutiae can get even more minute. She follows competitors, events, trainers, and breeders like diehard baseball fans follow their favorite teams and league. Oddly enough she’ll never place a bet on a race even though she picks the winners close to 50% of the time. Go figure. :laugh:

el jeffe bass and mikewalker like this.
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    One day I was sitting on the couch practicing a bluegrass lick on my banjo. As anyone who plays an instrument knows, you have to play it over and over to get it right and committed to muscle memory.

Then my wife walks into the room and says, "Would you please play something else?"

So I stopped playing the lick and started playing the verse rolls to a song.

Then she said, "NO....I mean would you please play a different instrument?!"

13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If you have to fire the drummer, you may need to consult with a divorce lawyer.

14. My condolences Big Bass.At least she will let you continue on another instrument.Banjo is pretty loud,you've got to admitt.My choices were Bass, or drums.Both were !Canceled! if she could hear them.Im gonna get an acoustic bass.Got one on order so I can at least practice.I sold my drums.after 50 years of playing,and Old,far.., I mean Health issues.Im sticking with Bass no matter what.Headphones just dont do it for me.So I found some guys to jam with and just have fun.Its hard to train somone after 41 years of marriage.LOL

15. 40 Hz:
    "Oddly enough she’ll never place a bet on a race even though she picks the winners close to 50% of the time. Go figure".

Your wife is a smart woman, that's why.

dasherf17, honeydorick and LBS-bass like this.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Mine will occasionally comment when she sees me play " oh, thats a pretty one" tone..schmone

dasherf17 likes this.
  17. Opinions, opinions...

18. NICE! Sad thing is...she'd have to catch me awake...I'd be happy to accommodate her...

19. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Just to throw something in here. Where my family are from in the Caribbean, "Tone" is a slang word for the male appendage.
    I will leave that here................. :)

dasherf17 likes this.
  20. Gwyn ap Nudd

Gwyn ap Nudd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2018
    It's the same difference as people who read to be entertained and those who read for the construction of the story. Not much in depth and conscious effort in understanding the structure of the prose when all you want to find out is whodunnit.

dasherf17 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021