Wife doesn’t care about my tone

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chicken Wing, May 8, 2021.

1. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    My wife thought tone meant the color.

2. TH63

TH63 Supporting Member

In my experience you are absolutely 1000000% correct.
    Sometimes even the guys in my band don't notice when I bring a different bass to practice or to gigs.

3. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    It is rare that even your bandmates care enough about your tone to talk about it.

Mr Cheese, TH63, honeydorick and 2 others like this.
  4. Grttmz

Grttmz

Feb 6, 2020
    And you can take the cheapest bass and give it to the best player and it will sound amazing. Give that very same bass to me and I can say for sure that I can’t work under these terrible conditions. It’s because I can ONLY sound good on EXPENSIVE equipment. ;)
    I think I can remember reading an article about Ron Carter. He’s asked about his EQ settings and replies “this is the only EQ I need” (or something like that) and holds up his 2 fingers. Total badass.
    That is to say, your wife is right. They both sound pretty much the same.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My wife doesn't care, either, nor can she tell one bass or tone from another. I understand that since she's not really a musician.

6. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    Another bass what ? Head? Which part is that ? Don't you have one of those already? Can you even use all of this stuff at the same time?

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

This one!

5StringBlues and dasherf17 like this.
  8. Oooo, happy Sunday!
    As this vid goes on for for awhile, I'm thinking this isn't metal...Napalm Records?
    Then...ok, I get it :eek:...I'm awake...:roflmao:

gebass6 likes this.
  9. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    You must be talking to me.I will be the first to admit my G.A.S. is way ridiculous,my Man Cave looks like a music store (and from the look of Guitar Centers in my area I have more stock than their walls) Maybe scrimping during my younger gigging days has me over compensating now that I have a little disposable income in retirement.I don't drink, smoke or drive fancy cars.Bottom line is that having all these things around makes me happy And it's fun asking myself " what do I want to use now"? I do have a ton of spare time to play with all the toys.Retirerment can be pretty cool in this regard.

Gregc57, Mr Cheese, TH63 and 4 others like this.
  10. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Funny, the ex and other people often used to say 'That is a really great sounding bass!' after a gig, but never 'You sounded really good!' or anything of the sort.

Never thought about this 'til right now. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

dasherf17 likes this.
  11. Wife bought me a tshirt with Jimi Hendrix on it. "He plays guitar too, right?"

Randy

TH63 and dasherf17 like this.
  12. Oh the things we pick up as bass players...Hendrix? Doesn't he have a racing team?

13. "wife doesn't care about my tone" sounds like something you'd tell your bartender.

Mr Cheese, dasherf17 and honeydorick like this.
  14. Mpcorb

Mpcorb

Mar 17, 2019
    West Midlands, UK
    My wife really does care about my tone and isn't afraid to critique it...she's the lead vocalist & lyricist in the band!

honeydorick and BBassBassington like this.
  15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Your wife is probably very aware of the subtle difference between the colors Taupe and Mauve, to you it just looks Beige or light brown

16. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Generally correct. When it comes to paint tones, I am clueless.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Quite honestly, all this tone chasing is tasking and unnecessary. I just adjust the eq on my amp or bass. I tried flats but hated the feel. Old, dead rounds do the job just as well.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Oh sure, I'll make anything you give me work, but that doesn't mean I want to. Fortunately, my tone chasing days are about over. Quite satisfied with what I have except in my new 5's pickups and that's getting fixed in a few weeks. Then they'll be over until the next pedal I buy.

Mr Cheese likes this.
  19. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    The only bass my wife hears is the upright and she doesn't mind that.

20. What a lucky guy, consider yourself blessed.If your wife loves music as much as you do.and is actually part of the band.

Mpcorb likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021