Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wife got me a new jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I had been eyeing this really cool MIM jazz bass for a few months. She must have noticed because she got it for me for Christmas. It's a '60s jazz and its a sort of pastel, pinkish, metal flake color with a matching headstock and a gloss finish on the neck. I have never seen one like this. I took it to a couple of stores to see how it stacked up against some more expensisve jazzes. It sounds as good if not better than some basses costing twice as much, I was surprised. Does anybody have one of these or at least seen or played one? Also, I'm curious about the pickups, are they just standard Mexican. They sound great. Sorry no pics, I'll post some when I can. And no, you can't have my wife....lol

2. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Thank you Toad, that is the info I was looking for. According to the color chart I have the Burgundy Mist, which I didn't like at first, but, it quickly grew on me. It's a really cool bass that may become my main axe. Thanks again!:D

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That is a very nice bass. I've also played a few ot them, not the Burgandy Mist one, & the ones I've played, I've liked better then the USA 62 RI, hands down!!!!!

You got a great bass & an even GREATER WIFE!!!!!!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, man. Post a picture!:)

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Of the bass.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why not his wife?:p

8. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I know. We could do a Talkbass "Hot or Not" forum. Post your significant others holding your basses. Then we rate them. It could be just one rating so that if your picture got a 4, you could dismiss it as everyone simply not liking your bass.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    By the way, did Fender set up a different shop in Mexico to make these basses and distinguish them from the standard production models?

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Not sure about that. I was told however that they cannaot apply that type of finish in the states because of EPA regulations. I was also told that the Burgundy Mist Metalic was also used on some cars back in the '60s. Anybody know anything about that? I'll talk to the wife about the picture!:p