Wife got me this to play with.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wildman2, Aug 4, 2020.

1. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Wife purchase this for me to play with till the barn area gets its make over. And she got the geezer P pickup for it also...

Attached Files:

Big Shrek, Tari, Mvilmany and 9 others like this.
  2. That’s cool. I’ve always wanted to try putting together a kit bass.

Keep us posted on your progress.

3. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    As soon as it gets here ill start posting some obligatory pics. Not 100% sure on how I am going to Finnish it. Have to see what it looks like first. Checkout frets and truss rod etc.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

looks like a great project --- hope it works into a great player! have some fun, good luck! :thumbsup:

5. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Well I got it in the mail today in one piece. That's good. All the parts are there. Thought tuners and bridge would be Crap but they are actually kinda beefy. Look like fenders stuff. 1 piece body of okoume all holes drilled what looks to be correct.neck is straight no bow or twist. Came really smooth out of the box. Now to figure out what to Finnish it with. Like to darken it up a bit. Suggestions?

Attached Files:

Big Shrek likes this.
  6. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    The walnut stained pbass's are kinda cool. But maybe not with a white pick guard... Screenshot_20200808-154937_Google.jpg

Paco Leon likes this.
  7. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Pretty...

8. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    Sweet! Looks like a fun COVID project! Maybe use the neck and pickup pockets as a sample areas to try different shades of stain until you find one you like for that type of wood. Have fun!

9. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Ill be playin with it for awhile to get the right tone.

10. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    According to the wood database, okume darkens some with age:

Okoume | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

In your photos it does seem to have some nice grain figure, almost ash-like. I wonder if you could wipe on a dark stain then sand it back to highlight the grain and give it some more character. Then do a lighter (but still dark) stain for the final color you want.

11. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Good to know it does darken over time.THX.The plan is to use 2 different stains and a grain enhancer.Going to try a grain enhancer on it. Sedona red and a red mahogany. Going to test it out on some scrap wood, grain enhancer Sedona then mahogany. Then reverse it up a cpl times. 123 231 312 etc etc. Then use the pocket to test out the combo's that I like the best for the color that's in my head. That's the plan at least. Heck I may just like it with only 1 of the stains. Who knows. Shooting for a realitivly grain heavy reddish brown. With a final coat of somewhere between satin and glossy. But closer to glossy than satin. Hopefully it'll be real close to what I want.

12. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Got this in the mail today.

Attached Files:

robert43 likes this.
  13. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Now on to the search for some flat wounds to make it a nasty pbass.
    Once bass this is done immediately changing gears and making 2 identicle guitars 1 for my son 1 for my stepsonish.1 black 1 red. Dual EMG twx 1with a Tremelo 1 not. That's if I can pull off this bass.

14. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Looks like a real nice kit, not like some of them. I'm a sucker for unpainted wood bodies. The body looks very nice, just some urethane or danish/tung/tru oil?

15. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Going to give it a reddish brown stain. With a minwaxes antique top. Testing out different layering and solid stain colors now.
    1st one is just red mohagany. 2nd one is Sedona red red mahogany then Sedona red.
    On an old piece of 1x3 I had laying around.so far I'm digging the middle one. Sedona mohagany Sedona.no grain enhancer.
    Lightly Sanded 3 oak firewood blocks to test out the same combos on to give me a feel for what different woods will look like. The Okoume body is prolly closer to oak than pine hence my experiment. And yes the body does look good.THX.

Attached Files:

dwizum and Chris Todd like this.
  16. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Pic of all 3 side by side.

Attached Files:

Chris Todd likes this.
  17. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Try your favorite color in the pickup or neck cavity, then you can get a feel for how it'll look without fully committing!

Chris Todd likes this.
  18. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    I'm going to do just that. wanted to get a feel for what the stains look like beforehand. Not doubt it'll look different on the actual body than the pine board. Its one of the reasons I'm doing the oak blocks also. Just to get a feel for how it reacts before I pick a color and test it in the neck pocket and or pickup cavity. Been a long time since I stained anything. I am digging the layered one at this point but need to be a smidgen darker.

19. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Hehehe good thing I'm testing it out on different woods. With just the red mohagany stain its dark as all get out. Way darker than I want. Grain enhancer does bring out the grain though. May be 1 of the reasons its darker. Well see when I wipe off the red Sedona. I think it still too dark.

20. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Which company’s kit is it? Do they have a Tort option or are getting your own?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021