1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wife says I need headphones/headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I'll probably be buying a Spectra Drive myself.
    Stay away from NUX and the Melvin Lee Davis - they talk a good game, but their interface is garbage as is their customer service.

Jakeman and Sean Brookes like this.
  2. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I’m a K240 user also. Personally, I just accept that cans are not speaker cabs and tweak knobs til it sounds good. For solo practice at “odd” hours, use that time for technic or learning songs, and use the loud full volume at acceptable times for the tone tweaking. I used to use a small mixer for plugging in aux feeds, but finally got an interface for that now.

Jakeman and Nuage420 like this.
  3. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I think you need to take advantage of this situation. Be careful what you wish for Mrs. Jakeman

hedd_heddphoneone_full_range_air_motion_1604050541_1594674.jpg - $1900

SiXSSL-large.jpg - $1,500

DrMole, DirtDog, Jakeman and 4 others like this.
  4. I use AKG K240 headphones for two years now ... and a Palmer bass pocket amp. Love this combo.

The bass sound with this combo is much, much better than plugging the headphones directly into my GK115 amp.

Jakeman and Nuage420 like this.
  5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    rtslinger, Jakeman, neuman and 2 others like this.
  6. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    Shift Line Olympic

Robal and Jakeman like this.
  7. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Yup, I use this with my akg all the time

Jakeman, Low8 and brandau like this.
  8. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I keep it simple. Vox amplug and Sennheiser HD280s. Though the Sony MDR line is great too. I used a pair of 7506 for a years when I worked in the film industry. They lasted about ten years before dying on me.

rtslinger, Jakeman, Low8 and 2 others like this.
  9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    With a chain like that, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you have a recording interface. All you need to play your v4b silently is a load box. Two notes torpedo will do your wife some good. Then, you don't need a speaker. Just run your speaker out of the v4b, into the two notes, and di into your interface. Instant headphone, all tube bliss.

Never-ending, I just re-read that you don't have an interface or laptop. Just get a pre amp pedal. Any one will work. Although, I really don't like the weird twang that the ampeg scr gives you. It's a very odd sound. Spectra drive or mesa subway is a far better choice. Or, to make things as simple as humanly possible, buy an Amplug. It's a headphone amp that plugs directly in to your bass. Plug amp in bass output, plug headphones in to amp.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Jakeman likes this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Went through the same thing recently. Wife said it was too early for all that noise. I told her if she was up cooking breakfast like she's supposed to be this wouldn't be an issue.

After I regained consciousness, I ordered a USB Audio Interface for my PC which works great with headphones.

Robbie J, DrMole, FUBB and 12 others like this.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd say go for Phil Jones Double Four. That's right...the Double Four is an amp...only smaller. Why get the Double Four? It's a small, portable, desktop amp that has pristine/audiophile sound quality. It includes a headphone out if you must. It has an aux in with dedicated volume. And did I mention, you can run one off a $100 laptop battery (that will fit perfectly in the handle so it is practically built in) and it's light enough that you can pick it up with your pinky.

With that little setup, sometimes you are gonna want some volume and you can rest the Double Four on the top and have it play right into your face and make it soft enough that you won't wake anyone yet loud enough that you can feel the air move. Win win.

12. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I wish the Amplug has a plain old cable input instead of being built into the housing. Pretty sure it's going to hit the body on my Dingwall Combustion

13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    My cans of choice are various ULTRASONE... very neutral and realistic sounding, very easy on the ears, and magnetically shielded ( the ULE versions)

Jakeman likes this.
  14. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I mean what the hell. I’m the first person to like this post? Cmon...

DrMole, Nuage420, mmbongo and 2 others like this.
  15. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well that’s cool. Also I hate your face for suggesting it.

DrMole and cosmicevan like this.
  16. fishdude101101

fishdude101101

Oct 15, 2020
    How is the low end response on the Sony?

17. fishdude101101

fishdude101101

Oct 15, 2020
    I run my Mesa subway plus DI into a little yamaha mixer as well. Laptop into another channel works great.

Corigan likes this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I could have explained better: first time I tried the Sonys I thought they were scooped, but that's because I'd EQ'd my track using headphones that had weak highs and lows. The Sonys seem well balanced across the spectrum -- as good as I'd expect from sub-$100 cans, anyway.

Jakeman and fishdude101101 like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    AKG K240 cans are great for bass and very comfortable.

Jakeman, Nuage420 and bassface69 like this.
  20. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    As things turned out, to be respectful of the other members of my house, I needed to come up with a really good headphone system over this last year. Eventually, I settled on equipment from Two Notes. I first bought their tube preamp pedal, the Le Bass. Then I bought the Torpedo C.A.B. M. I'm very happy about the results of combining these pedals. So much so that I would say 90% of my home playing is through this rig, even when I technically could play amplified. I also use the Sony MDR headphones.

There have been many good suggestions in this thread. The Two Notes option might just work very well for you.

Bones

Jakeman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021