1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wife says I need headphones/headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Feb 22, 2021.

1. JEEBERS! The smallest SSL I think I ever saw was 16–20 channels, sitting next to its big brother 48 or whatever, I mean I wasn't there to count channels — a baby SSL, so cute I ne... wa... MUST HAVE one!

Thanks for the HEDD's up.

DrMole and nbsipics like this.
  2. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    I second the Olympic. Stellar as a compact (pedalboard friendly) and powerful Tube Pre, that also has an excellent headphone out, and cabsim built in. An overachiever, not cheap but very reasonably priced for all you get.

DrMole, Robal, halech54 and 2 others like this.
  3. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I haven't played through the TC unit... but it looks cool... and TC makes solid stuff, and I can't say the same about other brands listed in this thread.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wait, wait wait -- something Sony made died on someone??? IMPOSSIBLE! :cool:

For decades, I've had especially good luck with all my Sony items... boomboxes, Walkmans, TVs, home theater systems... I like their stuff. However, I will say the cushion earpieces on the 7506 headphones have a tendency to pop off... at least that was my experience. But when they stuck on, those were nice headphones.

Beyerdynamic's DT 770 Pros are really fantastic headphones, too.

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Since the DSM OCSD has been mentioned a few times, it’s probably worth noting some users have complained about the sound quality and/or noise level of the headphone out on that unit. The regular out is fine and would work going into another device like a mixer with a headphone out.

Some discussion on this
    NPD DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim

Alien8 and Jakeman like this.
  6. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I like my basses best just in the headphone preamp. I have a PreSonus HP4 (older version than pictured) and it's been one of my best gear purchases.

I do have other devices with headphones: Phil Jones Bass Buddy (I actually use it a lot), SpectraDrive (used it, but find synthetic now), audio interface, mixer, combos' headphones outputs and a Zoom recorder. usually the Bass Buddy does the job, it's very convenient, but has some hiss in headphones. but if I want a better sound, that's either an audio interface and computer, or the HP4. I know, the headphone preamp is not intended to handle instrument-level input, but I really like the sound. if you need some EQ however that could be not the way.

7. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
  8. MrBassman22

MrBassman22

Jun 22, 2020
    The answer to life, the universe and everything is Line 6 Helix Stomp.

DrMole and Jakeman like this.
  9. I agree. I use the stomp into a small mixer and the Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro headphone. Very happy with the sound.

Jakeman likes this.
  10. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Wait: is it Walkmans or Walkmen?

Aloe and Low8 like this.
  11. Technically I think it would be "Walkmans", since it's a branded product name for a personal-audio device.

It has 42 presets, and comes with a towel?

DrMole and Frodolicious like this.
  12. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    It is 5 am and I am getting ready for some practice. I use a basic interface, Presonis Audio Box or Focusrite Solo into my Laptop. I have a few DAW p rograms I use, but for practice I primarily use Amplitude 4. It has all my effects and amps, hundreds . Very easy to play along with MP3s or Youtube. Quiet. no issues and very hifi.
    IMG_1042.jpg

cosmicevan and Jakeman like this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I have a tiny PA system in my practice room. It's a cheap 6 channel mixer (used for less than 30 bucks) and a powered monitor wedge. I set this up for practicing e-drums. I do have my pedalboard connected, though and can use it either through the wedge (which is good for testing purposes) and the mixer also has a headphone out. My phones are Sennheiser HD25-II. Basically because I had them lying around and they are good enough for my purposes. When I need better sound through headphones I use my IEMs.

Jakeman likes this.
  14. Most of you guys are far more advanced than I --

I use my Corsair HS70 Wireless headset. I'm sure someone will come along to tell me why that isn't ideal, but it works great for my use.

Jakeman likes this.
  15. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    Great ideas. I also needed a silent practice option and I recently went with the Irig Pro I/O and amplitude app on my iphone. Happy with an ampeg-ish sound from their amp sims. Didn’t like their cab sims so turned those off. Can play along with any song in my library too. Pleased so far.

Jakeman and Sean Brookes like this.
  16. Please clarify

Are you looking for:

1-pedal
    2-amp with headphone out
    3-mixer
    4-1/4 to 1/8 amplifying plug (may have effects)

I own them all (multiples on some flavors)... Never use an amp at home

"I love my xyz" replies make me puke

---------

I own or have owned the following that deliver what youre asking

Pocketrocket, amplug, nux plug, pandora, rolls pm350, rolls pm351, samson headphone amp, mixers (mackie, behinger, yamaha, peavey), x3, plex, omnicabsim, hartke amp,gk amp,peavey amp, blutooth sender, shure wireless

17. Try a TC Electronic Spectradrive!

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. So much this. But I'm a totally biased TT800 fanboy. It feels good to admit it.

That being said, you shoul dbe able to find a super cheap mixer on your local Craigslist. If you rock an SVT and V4, space saving clearly isn't top of your list.

A mixer will allow you TONS of options for input/output of music to jam along with as well.

If you don't find one locally, a cheap Behringer mixer will get it done.

Jakeman likes this.
  19. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    Your signal chain is sexy as all get out.

Jakeman likes this.
  20. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Jeannie's Bottle came dangerously close to the edge of the shelf one time right after I started down the rabbit-hole of bi-amping and filtering.

2017 & 1967 Starfires.jpeg

Some of those ultra-low frequencies nearly shook that old Persian jug right off its perch. Being a natural 'fixer' and solver of problems, I thought about a little dab of some Liquid Nails... yeah, that oughta' hold it.

Jeannie's old bottle.jpg

She. Was. Not. Amused. :blackeye:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021