1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wife says I need headphones/headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

1. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Bass guitar is the absolute worst instrument for playing through headphones. It's not just lifeless, I can't v"hear" myself unless it's the only thing in the mix or it's stupid loud. Louder than I ever want to crank phones. The brief experiment I had with a shaker promised to change all that. But upon doing the math after killing it , I realized I was putting about 400w into a 40w driver, and it didn't like it. I've not tried more expensive drivers.

2. Diminishedfilth

Diminishedfilth Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2020
    I picked up one of those last year after the the COVID shutdown began. The house suddenly became constantly occupied, with two kids doing at-home school. I wanted to keep the stress levels as low as possible, so I looked into getting a headphone amp. I think the SCR-DI turned up in a Sansamp DI search I did, and turns out it was exactly what I was looking for (phones-out, aux-in and useful beyond that). Like you said, it’s really a great piece.

3. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Yeah the Vox amplug is a bit disappointing.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree with this 100%. Sony MDRs have a flat frequency response and beautiful clarity. And their range goes well below the frequencies a bass produces to well above those most people can hear. So you’re accurately hearing everything you plug them into. There are better headphones you can buy. But they start around 3 to 4 times what a pair of MDR-7506s will set you back.

Bottom line: get yourself the MDR 7506.

For headphone practice, any amp with a headphone out jack will work. Many small amps (the Fender Rumble and the Orange Crush series to name just two) have them.

If you want something smaller there are standalone preamp pedals. The Ampeg SCR/DI is what I use. Ideal for woodshedding since it has an AUX in jack which makes it easy to incorporate backing tracks or a drum machine into your silent practice sessions. And it’s built like a tank. Highly recommended!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    Fuzzbass and Jakeman like this.
  5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My usual practice setup is my recording setup.

Focusrite Scarlett, DAW, amp sim, cab IR. Listening with Neumann NDH20 headphones. Sounds awesome

Jakeman likes this.
  6. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    B2CD2C9F-AFAE-40F3-BE58-0891FE278BED.jpeg
    I think it could work on your Dingwall. The 1/4 input swivels, and if you fully extended I don’t think it would hit your bass. I don’t have personal experience though...

rtslinger likes this.
  7. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Zoom B1on, it’s way too good for how cheap it is, I have the B1Xon which is the same thing but with a relatively useless foot pedal
    If you spend the time to go in and tweak the patches it’s very very good! Headphone in a bunch of effects 100 I believe, different amp flavors, looper, tuner and drum machine!

8. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Man, mount those pedals on a board... lol!

Jakeman likes this.
  9. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    The Omni Cab Sim Deluxe was going to be my suggestion... it's a great little box, and is exactly what you're looking for. I used it for exactly what you're wanting to do and for DI purposes

10. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I totally dig the Ampeg SCR-DI, it sounds great and you can put your phone/pad into it as well. Most any headphone works. The Darkglass stuff is awesome as well.

2saddleslab and Jakeman like this.
  11. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Bummer! I have an original run and it does have a noise floor, but with a good boost ahead of it you can eliminate it. Shame that there is a QC issue there.

monsterthompson likes this.
  12. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I don’t have the heddphones so I can’t really speak to those. I do have the ssl six and for me at least it’s a value. But I record lots of music and have lots of synths and drum machines plugged in at all times. The value is hard to appreciate until you start breaking down the sum of its parts. Two SSL, clean and punchy super analog mic pres with EQ pulled straight from the ssl 4000 E console, 12 total inputs to use as a analog summing mixer. Infamous listen mic compressor responsible for the Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins big drum sound, and a 4000 G bus compressor that they sell separately for 2-3k. By mfg in China they get a lot of value packed in for $1500

Jakeman likes this.
  13. edthebass

edthebass

Oct 19, 2020
    DT770s are great but I’d go the open back DT990s. I currently have to wear these 4-6 hours each day for work and they don’t bother me at all. Also, highly recommend open back headphones in general. They’d be perfect for this scenario.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Low8 and Jakeman like this.
  14. I use headphones at home exclusively and also play a 5 string and use Ampeg live. I have an SCR-DI on the end of my pedal board, That feeds to an audio interface that also connects to my computer so I can play-along. Headphones wise, I have had good luck with ATHM-50s for closed backs without having to use a headphone amp. Currently I use Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pros, and those seem to work better through a headphone amp. Currently, I use a Rolls Personal Monitor Amp for that.

None of the gear is super expensive and it all works great for me.

Jakeman likes this.
  15. Maybe it's time to splurge on a Shift Line Olympic MkIIIS...

halech54, Jeff Elkins and Jakeman like this.
  16. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Ask your wife to stop yelling. :laugh:

Jakeman likes this.
  17. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    I really like the Phil Jones Bighead. It's small, has fantastic build quality, and sounds great (very clean sound, also has built in EQ and gain). It's a bit pricy, but I've seen them being sold used for reasonable prices. I use this with Sennheiser HD598 & HD600 headphones. Keeps the wife happy. Also nice to able to practice in any room (I don't have a huge effects set-up).

Bighead PJ.jpg

Jakeman likes this.
  18. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I went ahead and purchased a DSM OmniCabSim Deluxe and a pair of Sony MDR-7506's. I figure I could use the DI when gigs become a thing again (hopefully I'll have everything on an actual board by then, lol). This will probably become a "test and flip" situation as my needs change. The wife doubled back on her suggestion - "Oh wait, this means you need ANOTHER pedal??". Ah well, she's a good sport. She'll be pleased in the end, though - she "allows" me to have the practice space in our living room, so the least I can do is prevent sub-octave fuzz blasts from waking her and the dogs up at 4 in the morning. I really appreciate the suggestions and will report back.

cD6vskO.jpg

19. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I've wanted a Centrance Mixerface for sometime now thanks to Will Lee, but am already invested in my Tascam MP-BT1's which I load a bunch of mp3's into for just fun and practice, but also load will load some songs in that I want to learn. Like me, its a little ancient and does not have an aux in or bluetooth, but the amp models are great! The Centrance is a very serious studio quality interface as well as its own standalone practice amp. You can also get them with an SD card. Will uses his for everything including using as a recording interface. You might even like it as an interface for your live Ampeg rig. It is definitely on my
    wish list and worth a look. MixerFace - CEntrance
    centrance mixerface.jpg !

redstrand and Jakeman like this.
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Ha, I meant nevermind, not never ending. Auto incorrect.

Jakeman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021