1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wife says I need headphones/headphone amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jakeman, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I practice with headphones a LOT. Busy day gig, wife goes to bed earlier than I do, I'm a late-night restless guy, etc. etc. Can't speak to headphone amps as I won't buy a bass head that does not have a headphone output and an aux. input so as to load practice/play-along materials, and have had fine results with various genz-benz amps and the Mesa subway 800+. Intrigued to see a lot of AKG K240 users on this thread. My phones of choice are 15 year-old Audio-Technica ATH-M50. Closed back design does not optimize soundstage/imaging, but it decreases leakage and helps with bass response a bit, and they are easy to drive - they sound fine just off a laptop. I bought 'em on sale for $80, and the successor - ATH-M50x - goes out today for around $150. Was just looking at frequency curves for this latest iteration, and see a wee bit of bass boost, and some diminution around 400Hz and 5k to 7k Hz, but otherwise pretty darned flat. Playing alone or along with a track, I get plenty of articulation and micro-detail, and that hair of bass boost (who knew?) is a great feature when in play-along mode. Have recommended various A-T headphones to others over the years, including gamers using a game-optimized model - the A-Ts seem hard to beat, at their price point.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Review

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    SumOne and Jakeman like this.
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I got a focusrite solo and the end of the signal chain plugs into that 1/4" input instead of my amp. The focusrite is powered by my computer. I use it to play along with songs from spotify or youtube, and you can connect headphones. Highly recommend.

Jakeman likes this.
  3. I hear ya ;)

I haven't played bass through an amp at home in many moons.
    Besides just playing unplugged, here's a few of my solutions.

617uoAh8UJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg BEH X1204USB_m1-Large.jpg shopping (2).jpeg :bassist:

4. ArteK

ArteK Supporting Member

I use an Ampeg Scrambler DI box (SCR-DI is the model number, I think) with a decent set of Sennheiser headphones. I don't know if it gets you all the way to your V4/SVT sound, but it sounds as good as or better than any other headphone option I've had to use.

2saddleslab and Jakeman like this.
  5. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Your wife lets you practice? In all seriousness, The Ampeg SCR DI is a great option for a headphone amp or one of those Rolls units would probably work and are relatively inexpensive on the used market. My Orange combo has a headphone and aux option so I just run everything through that.

Jakeman likes this.
  6. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Uhhh...no. Its 42. I checked.

7. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Just gotta say, love your user name. "If you aren't afraid that you took too much, you haven't taken enough."

8. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Why not just plug that whole rig (minus the bassman or whatever amp that is) into a Phil Jones Big Head?
    They sound great and are so simple and straightforward and actually are little amps.
    then just a good pair of headphone - Audio Technica or Sony or whatever.
    Headphone playing just isn't as good no matter what. But it is better than not playing!

Jakeman likes this.
  9. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    The little Vox headphone amp is great, and so cheap that there is no excuse not to own one. It's not even inconvenient for me to play with headphones through my amp, but I'll still plug the vox in just to walk to another room, or whatever.

brandau, Nuage420 and Jakeman like this.
  10. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Honestly, every one should toss an amplug into their gig bag. It's too cheap and easy to use. 2 aaa batteries and any headphones and you're able to practice. I use mine to be outside keeping an eye on the kids. I can walk around freely and noodle around.

brandau and Jakeman like this.
  11. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    I use ATH-50X and agree, they are good- I'd recommend them.

Sometimes I also like open back headphones for the feeling that you're in the room with the music rather than having the music clamped to your ears though, and they tend to be more comfortable for long practice sessions. I use Sony HD598SR which are very good. Downside to open backed is you can hear outside noise (including heavy handed slap bass).

The DSM Simplifier Bass station is great: small, amp and cab sim, DI, EQ, SVT gain, 2x FX loops, LPF, aux in, headphone out. The headphone out does add a bit of hiss though.

12. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    2nd on the SONY Headphones. I used to use my Genz Benz Streamliner. It and many Class D heads do not require the load from a cabinet like a conventional head. I would just run my audio source into it and plug my headphones in. I use a GK PLEX for the same purpose now.

halech54 and Jakeman like this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    When I want to enjoy playing with headphones, I use either Eich Bassboard or BackBeat. I am considering buying Eich drumchair for playing while sitting at home.

Backbeat has aux in.

With Eich devices, you would able to use your V4B...

Jakeman likes this.
  14. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I once saw Oteil Burbridge at a Dead & Company show using one of those Eich boards. Not sure I'd need it, but man they seem pretty cool.

Zbysek likes this.
  15. davio

davio Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
  16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    If you like playing loud (which you seem to-based on your original post) you might really enjoy tactile transducer like bassboard. It feels like standing in front of wall of Ampegs/Mesas/etc (insert your favourite cabinet).

It protects your hearing too. When using bassboard with headphones, I tend to put very low signal to headphones.

You can save money on headphones. I am fine using KZs for 20 bucks. I would need much better buds If I didn’t use those devices...

Fuzzbass and Jakeman like this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A good friend plays bass at his church. The band went to in-ears exclusively, and my buddy (a loud rocker outside of church) HATED it. The MD got him a tactile device (maybe the Bassboard, I don't know) and he said it was a game changer... made his church band fun again.

I'm in a condo with a downstairs neighbor, so not an option for me, as I try to be more civilized than my new upstairs neighbor (I'll spare you all the rant).

Zbysek likes this.
  18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The Boss Waza Air is my absolute favorite practice setup of all time. Total gamechanger.

maxl and Jakeman like this.
  19. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    That looks interesting. Good on bass I assume?

20. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Well sometimes we learn something new. I have probably had one for five years and did not know this.

brandau likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021