1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WiFi internet connection

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Mar 26, 2006.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    We recently added a WiFi internet router to our network at home. It's a 2.4 GHz system.

We have three computers, two that are "wired" via broadband connection, and a laptop that uses the wireless router. Besides the built-in encryption system that came with the router, are there any other ways to secure the system?

Also, are the two "wired" computers subject to wireless intrusion even though they don't run off the router?

Thanks

Vince

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    1. Use whatever security measures that your router offers.
    You are probably using WEP key, make sure that you are using 128bit instead of 64bit.
    Use MAC address filtering, that way you can only allow the MAC address of your WiFi computer to access the wireless network.
    Select so that your SSID is hidden, no point in advertising your WiFi network.

If there are stronger encryption methods on your router, use them then.

Pretty much everything can be cracked if someone really wants to, but it takes time and the right tools.

2. No, your wired computers are not subject to wireless intrusion.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmmm, let me rephrase that...

Say that someone successfully hacks your WiFi and gains access to it just as it were your WiFi computer. Then someone can access the other computers. That is if the WiFi router is on the same network.
    The hacker can theoratically access the other computers on your network. Just make sure that you have a good firewall on them like Zone Alarm.
    Also, make sure that you have secure passwords on the user accounts on your computers.

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Also, the WLAN would also require the hacker to be where he can access the network, as in, nearby. If you live in a single family house, the signal reaches perhaps 50-70 meters/yards around, bit depending what kind of building it is. A couple of concrete walls block a signal quite well, so it can be even lesser than that.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You might as well quit worrying...I already hacked in and stole your family pics from your trip to the Grand Canyon and your muffin recipes. Nothing is safe.

bc

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1 Just set up WEP with a strong password and you are good to go.

7. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i use mac address filtering, i don't know your computer you can't use it.

8. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    How do I set up WEP and MAC filtering?

Vince

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You can access your router settings through the network. Your manual should give the IP address for the router on the network, then you can just type that into whatever browser you use and then log on to the router. From there you should have various setting that can be changed, like security, etc. MAC filtering and WEP will be in there.

10. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    I've just completed a 'security' training course where we covered on these issues.

I was very suprised at just how easy it is to crack WEP (even with 128 bit encryption) and gain access to a wireless network. Disabling SSID broadcast does nothing, and MAC addresses are easily discovered and spoofed.

That being said (typed), with these controls in place, someone would have to make a directed effort to break into you network. It's like the old addage that locks keep honest people honest - anyone who really wants to break in can.

So if you see any strange cars in the area with a pringle can (homemade high gain antenna) pointing at your house (I assume you're in a house), you may want to go talk to them.

Also, there is another encryption scheme, WPA, which is better than WEP provided you use a long and strong passphase. You might want to see if you equipment supports that.

FWIW

D

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Yep, but the above security features, WEP, mac address filtering etc. keep out about 98% of the wannabe hackers and those just looking for a free "hotspot".
    Those who really want to break into the WiFi network can do it if they want to.
    But if I recall correctly, in order to break a 128bit wep key you have to sniff and capture at least 500.000 packets.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This is probably the guy who lives behind you, and wants free WiFi. :D

WEP was fine a few years ago when WiFi was an emerging techology. It's not even acceptable as an industry standard anymore for organizations required to keep their data secure.

-Mike