Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiggle room for price on MTD Grendel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Feb 21, 2006.

1. So I just tried out a 4-string Grendel at a local store that felt pretty good, and the tag on it said $519(I think). It's not a new bass, and has some wear, as I can tell by the slightly tarnished upper frets. It has a decent neck and a great sound palette(active preamp I assume - a 3 way switch and knobs for volume, mids, treble and bass) from the bartloni jazz pups.

I don't know a whole lot about the Grendel but have heard many great things about MTD's in general. It's already in a decent price range for me I suppose, but I just don't know what these usually go for. Whaddya guys think?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Bass NW has been sitting on one for quite a while with a $499 price tag on it. Looks to be in good shape from the pics. I'd try to talk them down a bit, especially if your paying cash. Good luck!

Andy

3. I looked on the BassNW site and found an MTD Beast for $499. Is that an equivalent bass? I'm pretty sure that one's passive. Any more info. guys?

4. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    If I remember correctly, the the Grendel and Beast were the older MTD imports made in the Czech Republic. Mike discontinued them before switching production to Korea and coming out with the first run Kingston and Heir basses. The Beast is just like the Grendel only passive.

I think $350 would be a fair price for the 4 string Grendel in the condition you describe. $519 is a little high in my opinion, but I'm sure the shop won't deviate a great deal from that. Try for $450 maybe?

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    That MTD Beast looks really nice for the money! Barts, wenge fretboard, 24 frets? I dont know how poplar bodies sound.. but for 500 bucks you can definitely do a lot worse!

6. Ok. So in the event that I decided to purchase, this is what I'm thinking: Bring $450 cash, tell them that I have $400 and see if they bite. Is this a good plan?

7. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I think it's a good plan. It all depends on the shop of course, and every shop is different. Some places are very flexible in price, marking things up high enough to have a lot of bargaining space. Others won't even budge from their tagged prices a single cent. The best you can do is see for yourself.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona

Sorry about that!!:meh: I got a little confused. I do think that the only difference was that one was active and one passive. Of course I could be wrong (again!). I know that I've seen some Grendel's with flame maple tops, but not sure about Beasts. There is a flame topped one on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Tobias-...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like it has a better bridge than the Beast does. Anyhow, let us know what happens with your shopping.

Andy