Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wilco on Conan tonight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Did anyones else see the bass player's bass. It was a custom Lakland. It looked like a Bob Glaub with out a pickguard except a little part by the knob. It also had a Dark Star pickup in the "sweetspot". I have my t.v. through a surround sound system, and it sounded really good. Very similar to a vintage P, but tighter and a bit smoother. Man, now I want' some of those pickups. :bassist:

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're right, it sounded great. I'd love to have one of those.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'm afraid that's a prototype that won't be on the market. Find attached a pic for those who haven't seen it.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    i saw it last night......everytime i watch conan i try to check out the bands' setup when he walks out for his opening monologue (they guest bands play right there).....i don't know much about laklands but was impressed none the less....another thing it didn't look like all the original band and jeff tweedy looked ancient :eek: they still sound like buttermilk :bassist:

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Big longtime WILCO fan here. I'm stoked that there are some TB'ers talking about them. Last night's performance was flat. That bass John Stirratt is playing is relatively new to his arsenal. I have seen him play two 60s 70s era P basses mostly over the years. Orange and/or Ampeg rigs. See this band live if you can. They are touring behind A Ghost is Born. wilcoweb.com

6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I think my post was deleted (was that post considered spam?). OK, here we go again. You can get one, just research who to get it from. (Is that better?) ;)

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I can get them made no problem.

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Showoff. ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Do you mean you can get them made and sell them to us? Cause that would be great. How about a Hollowbody with Dark Stars?

10. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    conan isnt on comedy central anymore so i can't watch it. and if it is for other people then i got a bone to pic with NBC. i just don't have the capacity to stay up to 130 to watch the whole show. maybe in 2009 when conan takes over the Tonight show (O YAAAAAA!!!!! I HATE LENO! saw this on the morning news like 3 days ago.) i will be able to watch him all the time!

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Any Lakland dealer will be able to get one like it.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

Dan has already retrofitted a pair of Dark Star's into a Hollowbody and they will be available for a yet to be determined upcharge. Right now Fred Hammon is busy making pickups so it'll be 30-60 days before they will be available in Laklands.

Photo of a HB with Dark Star's installed here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Thedudepit/Lakland Basses/IMG_2103.jpg

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I can't really say I like the looks of the Dark Stars, but they sure do sound good, and that is what counts.