1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wild p-bass wiring options challenge!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Apr 8, 2006.

1. I've got a p-bass clone that I want to get crazy with. What are the craziest, but still plausible, wiring options you guys can think of. It's one P pickup, 3 control holes and a jack. The only limitations are that I don't want to replace the pickup and that I want to stay passive (unless the mod involves wiring the guts of some effect pedal into the system and running that off a 9v, thats ok). Do your worst!

2. knob 1 = volume
    knob 2 = tone with push pull for series parallel
    knob 3 = rotary switch for different tone caps plus push pull switch for a Bill Lawrence Q-Filter

;)

I don't like onboard f/x

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, options are kind of limited with a one pickup bass when you won't change pickups. Series/parallel probably won't be possible without changing pickups, most stock P's I see have only 2 wires.

4. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I've done it to my squier, you just have to cut the wire connecting the two halves.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    you coul get one of those big red military switches

[​IMG]

:D

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    volume
    tone
    all-controls bypass (skips vol. & tone, sends signal directly to output jack)

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    of course, but I got the impression this wasn't necessarily something he felt comfortable doing.

8. I was actually thinking about getting a couple of them for my series/parallel switches :D

But i only found them in one place, and i think you need a £50 minimum order or something :(

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    The G&L passive treble and bass cut on separate knobs is very cool. That is the circuit that is in all the L-2000, L-2500, ASAT basses. The preamp just adds gain to the equation. The tone controls are cut only, but they do offer HUGE changes. I'd do that, and put a series/parallel switch on the volume pot (new pot required) and have a decked out passive P that would get lots of tones.

10. I can totally picture that setup in my head, a stacked pot to do tone for each side of the pickup, maybe a 1.omfd capacitor on each side, and then a push-pull knob for volume and series-parallel. I like it!

11. after prowling around the ol' internet for a while, I have the following question:

would it be possible, using 3 push-pull pots, to wire my bass with a tone for each half of the pickup, a master volume, a series-parallel switch, a phase switch, and a full bypass switch (wherein the signal goes directly from the pickups to the jack)?

12. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I don't know if that is even possible. Moreover, what would a tone control for each half of the pickup do for you??? I have always prefered even response from my basses. Having two of the strings dark, and two bright would be odd, methinx. If that is what you read from my post about the G&L electronics, you misread it. They use a passive bass cut and passive treble cut. This is not tone controls for each half of the pickup. It allows you to "suck out" the low end, in just the same way a typical tone control rolls off the high end. In fact, the preamp in all the G&L basses only adds gain in one setting, and then gain plus fixed high end boost in the second. Personally, my L-2500 is hot enough passive. I took the battery out. My preamp switch is an on-off switch.

13. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    You can't get a tone control for each pickup, they will both act as master tones. I agree with BasikLee, go with the G&L bass and treble. Put a pull-pot on the volume to get series/parallel. Most versatile without having stupid useless sounds.

I once wired a P-bass pickup out of phase. Was cool on its own, when I added in the jazz bridge PU, two of the strings were out of phase and two were in phase. That was weird.

14. now i have to ask, how does one go about wiring a passive bass cut? I know its a capacitor for treble cut, but haven't the foggiest idea what it takes to cut bass.

Thanks all!

15. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    do a search here as well as "your favorite search engine" for the G&L schematic. I don't know what is in the circuit, but it works quite well.

16. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    The schematic:
    http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/L-1000_schematic_drawing.pdf
    And some pictures. The bass cut is the one next to the jack.

gl9.
    gl10.