1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wilde/Bill&Becky J45/P46 vs Quarter Pounder P/J (or other suggestions)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Oct 25, 2017.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    So, since I'm out of luck with the Lace Man o Wars (been discontinued and I can't find anyone selling set at a decent price), I'm gonna need some alternatives.

Basically I have a Kramer Forum 3. Stock K-Haz preamp. J pickup in the bridge was replaced when I got it and is extremely low output and I'm just gonna go ahead and replace both pickups.

I ORIGINALLY wanted to go for an EMG P/J set, but after messing with my Spector NS2C to install a set, I'm not gonna go that route again. I had to file the cavity by hand, and on top of that I need to replace the stock preamp pots with 25K pots. Too much shaging work. :p

So, I wanna go for that similar tone, but in a passive dealio. From what I've read, these two are probably my best bet without breaking the bank. The Wildes seem to go for that flat, modern, hi-fi sound. The Quarter Pounders are modern, but not as flat. A boost in the highs and lows, giving it an aggressive sound. I actually like the sound of that since I go for a slightly scooped tone anyway.

I'm in a weird spot. I want the Wildes because they'll seem to do something similar to the EMGs, but the Duncans seem like they'd be meaner. Help? :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    $196 isn’t a decent price? Lace Man O' War P/J Bass Pickup Set - Best Bass Gear

If that’s really what you want, then you should buy them. In my experience, settling for something different just because of price leads to disappointment and a realization that I should have just purchased what I knew I originally wanted. Buy once, cry once.

PawleeP and TN WOODMAN like this.
  3. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Considering every other place I saw them for sale was $150 - $160 before they went out of stock, yeah that's a bit more than I wanna spend. In fact the Man o Wars were breaking the bank I wanted to spend at $160.

Haroldo and ctmullins like this.
  4. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    I've been quite pleased with the Wildes I've had - I wouldn't call them 'aggressive,' tho'. Quite musical. And quite the bargain.

P.S. Since it seems you like travelling off the beaten track a bit, you might want to check out these folks: Sentell Pickups electric guitar pickups.

5. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Whats the deal with Sentell? Never heard of them?

I was considering the QPs because as I said, the aggressive sound they had might do what I want. But I was also considering they're supposed to have a certain kind of hi-fi ness to them people love. Very even frequency and a paino-like quality.

I'd like anything that can meet those criteria. Either an aggressive sound with plenty of bite and high end, or an even, piano-like hi-fi sound ala EMGs.

6. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    If I'm also looking in the "aggressive pickup" department, I'm curious if there's anything like the DiMarzio Model PJ set, but with more treble/brightness to them.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey @JimmyM lay some knowledge on us regarding Geezers....

9. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I'll be honest, I tried the GZRs but they weren't too much of my thing. I may need to give them another try, but the first time I tried them I wasn't too impressed. Might have been the bass, though.

Right now my main focus is still on the Qtr Pounder set or the Wildes.

10. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Did you try DiMarzios direct to output jack? They sound much brighter without pots, almost too much...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know what I could tell the guy since he tried them and didn't dig them. Personally I love them, because the P is a clone of the stock pickup in Bobby Vega's 1960 Precision. But they do have a mid bump compared to most aftermarket P pickups that some love and some don't. And to me they sound nothing like the active PJ set.

I don't know about the Wilde, but I don't hear anything that reminds me of the EMG PJ's out of the QP's. To me they sound mid scooped but without the brightness.

Your quest is a rather tough one. Due to the nature of passive pickup design, there are always going to be tradeoffs that you don't get with actives.

12. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yeah I did some reading around. The Duncans aren't bright ala EMG bright, but more like have a very aggressive high mid sound that sound more clanky. I don't think I'd actually mind that since I usually like to boost the high mids.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  13. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I recently bought and loaded up my passive PJ with a set of Delanos, and they're very modern sounding... Mostly flat, with a little bump in the high mids. They might be worth looking into.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a little surprised that you didn't get along with the Geezers, then. But hey, that's why they make different pickups. Go ahead and try them... All you've got to lose is money and time... Hahaha

ctmullins likes this.
  15. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Like I said, might have been the sound of the bass itself. Was very honky sounding. As if there was TOO much midrange and not enough everything else.

Which set are we talking about?

Isotonic and JimmyM like this.
  16. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  17. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Not sure how good those are, too be honest. Been trying to find info and no luck.

18. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Look for some Fender P Bass Plus reviews. The P Bass Plus came stock with P/J Lace Sensors.

P.S. I’m not really trying to push the Laces, just trying to be informative.

19. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Ended up doing that. Reviews for them don't seem to be too stellar. Sounds like a lot of people did some pickup swaps.

Kinda curious about the Delanos. Wondering what set @superheavyfunk used so I can give them a loot.

20. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Sorry about the delay. Here's my pickups:

20171028_160308.jpg 20171028_160454.jpg

Isotonic and SpasticTastic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021