Wilfer Model 14 5 str

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jfv, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Lemur advertises this Wilfer 5 string, in the catalog they
    sent me its a deep dark chocolate color, for some reason
    i REALLY love the look of that. On their web site it doesnt
    look as dark, is it just the photography?

I wondered if anyone down in that neck of the woods
    has gone to Lemur and played this thing, I would love
    to, but its quite a hike from Portland :) How did it
    sound if you did?

Or anyone that happens to have that bass purchased

$14K is way to much to come home and surprise the
    wife with :)

2. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I visited the Lemur store about three weeks ago. I remember seeing a couple Wilfer 5 string basses. I remember seeing and trying one that was that nice dark color, similar to the one pictured. It might not be the exact same one as pictured, I think they might have said it was one they had very recently got in, they had just set it up. It did strike me as being a very nice bass, I heard it being played at lot by one of the guys there, I played it a little too, not for long but I remember liking it. I have not had much experiance with 5 string DB's, but this one played nice, the neck size and string spacing felt very comfortable. Very "new" sounding, brand new bass but still sounded very good. Everyone there seemed was pretty excited over it. Nice folks there with many nice basses for sale.
  3. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'm tempted to combine an anniversary celebration with a
    visit down there, but I'm just afraid that if I laid my hands
    on it I'd be selling my grand piano to buy it :)
  4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    The neck on my model 14 solo bass is identical in color to the one in the Lemur photos. I really appreciate the crisp look of Wilfer's finishing. Some of the Chinese and eastern European builders could learn a lot by studying Wilfer's work.

Steve Swan
    Retailer for Paesold, Mastri, Kolstein, Wilfer, etc.
  5. Catalog printing and professional lighting can vary the look of a finish considerably so if it is really important to you have a look in person. I have seen the exact same bass (not necessarily the one you refer to) in two different Lemur catalogs (identifiable by the grain pattern) and the look of the finish was medium dark honey in one and dark chocolate in the other.
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Here is the exact same Bass shot at different times;

One is lighter and one is darker than the actual color. Neither is exact. The Bass is inbetween the two as far as darkness goes.
  7. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    While it may not be quite as dark as the Wilfer in that catalog,
    the Hungarian bass I bought is almost as dark. I also have no
    interest in a 5 string right at the moment, quite enough work
    learning to bow on 4 :)
  8. Oh, come, come;- if I can do it, surely you can also? That Wilfer is calling to you like a siren. Better tie yourself to the mast ....:D