Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wilhelm Eberle bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yor123, Feb 8, 2003.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Hey guys,

I picked up a Wilhelm Eberle bass from the classified pages in New Orleans. Its plywood, about 30-35 years old, but in good shape. My luthier dressed the finger board, put a new bridge, soundpost, endpin, and tailwire(?). He also replaced the nut and put new strings on it (Spirocores). I think it sounds darn good and he was impressed with it too. My instructor played the heck out of it , pizz and arco, and it just sounded amazing in his hands. I know this is not an expensive bass with any great value. But for me, it's just perfect. Altogether, it cost me $1275.

Anybody have any experience with this bass? I searched but only found one link that was not very helpful. Just curious to hear other comments about this bass.

Gregg

2. You can be pretty sure that Wilhelm Eberle was a house brand name used by what ever company imported the bass into the USA. There was a real instrument maker named Wilhelm Eberle, but I doubt that he made too many plywood basses before he died in 1772.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I just repaired a plywood Eberle, about 5 years old, which had the absolute worst neck joint I've ever seen. My dog could have made a better joint. Good sounding bass, though. Has a carved red cedar top...

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You got a good deal. I play an Eberle on all my gigs- bars, outdoors, even recording sessions. They are a workhorse plywood; I haven't seen the carved top instruments. Knilling Co. also sells the same bass. Does yours have the flush-routed outside linings? In other words, does your top sit flush with the side?
    I've got mine strung with plain Goetz/Efrano gut on the G/D, and Flexocores on the E/A. Lots of people have complimented me on the sound, with/without an amp. Although I make/repair basses, I'd still rather play my Eberle on the bar gigs.

5. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. I'm happy to read that someone else likes this bass. I was hoping not to get a long list of problems with it and suggestions to turn it into firewood. My bass does have a flush top with the sides. It seems to be built well without any signs of repairs. My guess is that it is pretty tough. It seems to be the kind of bass that previous owner(s) would not have babied.