1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Wilkins '65 Classic P bass, excellent

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by herrdruhl, Dec 2, 2017.

1. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Selling my outstanding, high-quality Wilkins P bass. This bass was constructed around 2013 from ancient wood stock, with alder body, 150+ year old quartersawn maple neck, and a beautiful 90+ year old Brazilian rosewood fretboard with a gorgeous chocolatey hue. Bass is constructed specifically to specs of a 65 P bass with a "C" neck (1.75 inch nut width). Hipshot bridge and ultralight tuners. Wilkins hand-wound P pickup has that old school punch and growl. Top quality components all around. Weight about 8.5 lbs. Neck is chunky, but also comfortable with smooth satin finish. Currently strung with Chromes. If you can't afford a good pre-CBS or early CBS precision, then this is as good a P bass you will find. Better than Fender CS IMHO. Even tone and intonation up and down the neck, no buzzing or dead notes, and feels like my friend's '63 P. Please note that this is not a Wilkins "Roadtested" model, but this is representative of the best that Pat produces, with superior quality and craftsmanship. Only selling because I'm more cozy with my '71 Precision and find the 1.75 nut a bit wide for my taste. But if you're a bigger guy, or love the 1.75 nut width, you'll love this bass. Ships to continental USA only because of the Brazilian board. Will ship in a nice ProTec soft case. $1812 includes shipping and insurance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    R&B, yousaiditman, j.albert and 6 others like this.
  2. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Here's a link to a video of Phil Chen playing this exact bass:

NYCBass, Matt R and tomshepp like this.
  3. My favorite bass in the classifieds at the moment. Awesome.

herrdruhl likes this.
  4. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I had a Jazz bass version of this and loved it (and I am not a JB guy at all). Whoever buys this will be very happy. these are outstanding builds.

herrdruhl likes this.
  5. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Pat makes a great bass...I loved mine.

herrdruhl likes this.
  6. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    If Phil is really 6'6" like I heard, that bass is friggin ENORMOUS. ;)

7. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I thought he was 5' 4" ....lol

Billyzoom likes this.
  8. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    If this bass would Shipp outside the USA I would buy it immediately.

herrdruhl likes this.
  9. Appropriate price because if I bring another bass in the house it will be like the war of 1812.

herrdruhl likes this.
  10. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Actually a great deal for this bass, considering the woods used and build quality...

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  11. Worth every cent and more.

herrdruhl and franklindayala like this.