1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Wilkins Custom 5 String - Rare and Beautiful!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Sep 11, 2017.

1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Price:
    Strings:
    Chicago bassist Jauqo III-X commissioned this bass from Pat Wilkins back in 2006. It was jointly designed by Jauqo and Pat and it's truly "one of a kind". It sports a custom designed 18 volt Audere active preamp with 8 different Z-Mode switching options. It actually has "Jauqo Custom" printed on the outside of the preamp. This bass can give you just about any tone you can imagine and then some.......

The playability is excellent with a VERY low action and no fret buzz or fret wear. The electronics all function as they should with no scratchy pots. The bass is lightweight and VERY comfortable to play. The neck has a modern flattened D shape that feels effortless in your left hand. It's a pleasure to play and it has more tonal options than an Alembic without breaking your back. Gotta love that!

When I first got this bass I spoke with Pat about it and he told me he no longer builds this model because it cost too much to make. He said this one originally sold for over $4K and he was barely making a profit even at that price.

The only change I made to the bass was to remove the Hipshot Xtender key that is pictured in the headstock photos and replace it with a matching regular style Hipshot tuning machine.

Here are the specs:

Custom built by Pat Wilkins for Jauqo III-X in 2006
    Chambered Alder Body with Flame Maple Top
    Beautiful Transparent Cherry Burst High Gloss Polyurethane Finish
    Maple Neck and Bound Fingerboard with MOP Blocks and a Vintage Tint (9.5 Radius)
    Bartolini Jazz Style Pickups (3) with Master Volume and 3 Individual Pickup Volume Controls
    Custom built Audere Active 4 band Preamp with Active/Passive switch and 8 Z-Mode settings
    Chrome Hipshot Tuning Machines
    Chrome Hipshot A Style Bridge
    Dunlop Straplock Buttons
    Weight is exactly 9.0 pounds on my digital scale
    34" Scale
    Nut width is 1.75"
    String Spacing is 18mm at the bridge but is also somewhat adjustable
    Will ship in a new generic gigbag

Condition is virtually mint. No dings, dents or noticeable scratches of any kind!

$2,195.00 plus actual shipping

Trade value will be more like $2,500.00 however I'm really not all that interested in trades. It would have to be something pretty special. If you do have something you wish to offer up, please open a private conversation with me rather than posting it here in this thread.

tkt9uw2vl14osbd1qbmc. ugyiswk7hggmyxkprvzg. wxatxnobh44cyqcmenxs. jezonzzriztm7pwtpy5v. xsubmsalvdhggqhode0n. krgzhufuatbptc8hnfcp. qt0fpgu2dnkpypdwjq5g.

petrus61 and nbsipics like this.
  2. ama501nj

ama501nj

Sep 13, 2012
    Beautiful ! Amazing ! Love all the tonal possibilities...it's the swiss army knife of sound !

3. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    That's like a vintage jazz Bootsy "lite" bass!
    GLWTS!

4. mark35mi

mark35mi Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Sick. Enough knobs, switches and pickups to dial in amazing tones for days. I like it!

5. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I have some basses with the Audere pre-amp w/Z mode toggle switch. This bass shows 4 toggles....I can understand 1 toggle switch per pickup, but what is the 4th toggle do?

6. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    The fourth toggle switch is an Active/Passive switch.

7. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    sent you a question about the bass (PM)

8. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Replied......

9. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have had a few requests for more detail regarding the controls on this bass. This is what I can tell you:

Each of the 3 pickups has it's own volume control and then there is a master volume that controls the overall output of the bass. The 4 band active Audere preamp has two stacked tone controls. They are Bass/Treble and Low Mid/High Mid. Then there are 4 mini toggle switches. One is an active passive switch. The others are all "Z-Mode" switches which alter the tone quality in many different ways. Two of the Z-Mode switches are 3 way and one is a 2 way. I can't tell you specifically what each of them does electronically because I really don't know. Suffice to say they all can have an impact on the overall tone of the bass.

10. road-cat1

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    sent another msg

11. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    And replied.........

12. swpyne