1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available Wilkins custom "65 Classic" P bass, Brazilian board.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by herrdruhl, Oct 22, 2018.

1. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    wilk1.
    Available once again is a custom Pat Wilkins P bass, constructed to the specs of a model 1965 P bass with a "C" neck. I recently re-purchased the neck that is pictured here after having sold it to a fellow TB'er several months ago. This is the neck made for this bass, very high quality and it feels so right. Neck is made from old stock quartersawn hard maple, topped with old stock Brazilian rosewood fretboard. Note the beautiful chocolate hues in the rosewood. Original parchment pickguard. I can include a mint guard if you want it. Pickup is handmade by Wilkins, and sounds like an old P bass. Dunlop straplock buttons, but will include originals. Has Fender vintage-style bridge and Hipshot ultralight tuners (does not have original Fender type tuners). Fretwork is immaculate, and the bass intonates and plays exceptionally well, like an old Fender feel, but more reliable without the setup issues you can get with old Fenders. Neck is the 1 3/4 inch at nut version, vintage C shape. Weight is fairly light due to the aged and dried wood, about 8.5 lbs. Cosmetically in excellent condition. Bass shipped in gig bag, but well-protected in box. $1900 shipped and insured to USA locations. Cash sale only, no trades, lowballers will be politely declined. This is really a $3000 bass, which is probably how much it would cost to have Pat make one for you. Thanks, PM with any questions.

video link of Phil Chen playing this bass:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Needsalilmore, bobunit and funk7856 like this.
  2. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    More pix for y'all

Attached Files:

Ray H. likes this.
  3. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Really nice bass - can you clarify what the finish is - lots of Wilkins are stain but this looks like gloss. Also is it black or a metallic flake finish thats a different color than black? Last question; any chance of a headshot photo of the back?

4. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Black gloss poly finish. This is not a Roadtested model, which are usually with a satin matte finish. This one is a custom order. If you have questions, please PM me. Thanks.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I’ve never heard of Phil Chen prior to this posting, but he’s now my hero. Good luck with the sale!

6. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck

flyingfinbar likes this.
  7. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Trust me, after seeing his vid, I did some research...talk about an amazing career!

herrdruhl likes this.
  8. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Have a closer look at the Brazilian rosewood. From old stock, cured for about 90 years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Is there a hipshot vintage bridge on the bass now and maybe the photos just show a gotoh or standard fender type?

10. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Thanks for the observation, I was incorrect in the ad. It's a vintage Fender style bridge with threaded saddles and slot head screws, just like Fender made in the early 60's.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    ThumbyAche likes this.
  11. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    offers considered

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    The woods in the bass are very old stock. 75 year old Eastern European alder body, 150 year old hard rock maple neck core, 90 year old Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. Definitely old growth.

13. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    On hold for minor electronics repair, or $1800 if you want to repair it yourself (just a wire that came loose).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  14. herrdruhl

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    on hold.