1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wilkins Road Tested

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Oct 26, 2013.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Picked up my new bass yesterday...

It's a Wilkins Road Tested Jazz bass. These are getting a fair amount of attention right now and for good reason. My bass is killer. Alder body, maple and rosewood neck, about 8.7 pounds and sounds soooo good. The pickup placement is in the 60's position and Pat got the action slammed to the board, which is my preference.

The only thing I changed from the original design is the bridge. I went with the Hipshot A. I'm not a tweaker but I do like the easy access when changing strings, and I really dig the look. I think it looks slicker with the A bridge rather than the traditional one.

There are a few great things about these basses; they are made here in the US...they are in the sub $2K range and they blow away the US made Fender basses.

I could go on and on about how amazing this bass is, but I'll let some pics do the rest.

IMG_1080_zps91515890.

IMG_1082_zpscc748c3a.

IMG_1081_zps68bf5a8a.

This bass is SICK!!!!

2. A+ Congrats on your new bass!

3. Hello

REALLY nice bass!

I happen to be a huge fan of Pat's work - he is currently finishing two bodies for me, which have been delayed due to his son breaking his foot and being unable to work in the shop for an extended period. Made Pat's work extra challenging to try and fill in for him.

Everything is back on track and I will probably see both of them in a couple of short weeks.

Kudos, enjoy that bass - I am sure it will serve you well for many years to come. It is beautiful.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Awesome bass from an awesome builder . Congrats !

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks, all! This bass is awesome!

6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That looks outstanding, and knowing how Pat's basses are, particularly the necks, I'm sure it plays and sounds outstanding too.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Dig it.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    ^ +1

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What is the board radius and neck profile like on these?