1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wilkins VRB5 JJ/ Jazz Gass finally cured

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Maybe?

I just picked this up from Bassexchange. I was floored when I picked up. It was the lightest bass I've ever layed my hands on (Chambered body). I started playing it unplugged, and boy, I was totally blown away. Very even sounding accross the entire FB. The Demeter pre is very versital, and coupled with Nordstrand JJ, I was in heaven. It has a 34" scale, which is really easy on the hands, and the "B" string is very will defined. The craftmanship is flawless. The indian rosewood has very nice grain. All of the frets are nicely crowned and polished. The finish is superb. I've owned pretty much all the Jazz style basses(check my profile), and Wilkins ranks up there with the best of them. Here's a pic from Bassexchange web site. I'll take some new ones when free time allows it.

1340071[/ATTACH]"] Wilkins20Cherry201.

Attached Files:

2. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    congrats,

That is an AMAZING bass...

More pics plz!

If it really is as good as you say, Wilkins basses will maybe got more popularity than they have now.

3. Niiiiiiiiiice. *thumbs up*

I was planning on having Pat paint a parts-bass from USACG, but I think I can feel safe having him assemble it as well!
    Or heck. I can just buy a Wilkins. :D

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played my share of Wilkins basses, I even own a 5 string Wilkins. they really are every thing Bassconbeatz says they are. Very well put together and just plays like butter. My 5 has a 34" scale and my B string is a .110 and every one who hears it and plays it can not believe the quality of what is coming from such a light gauge.

Wilkins basses are right up there with the best but at this point they are just not as known as the more established names out there today.

5. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I think since you don't see to many of them around, he's not getting the accolades as other builders. I know he does finishes for most of them, and maybe he doesn't want to take any limelight away from his clients? Whatever the reason, he deserves more recognition.

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey Buddy, I have played that bass in the shop...it's a beauty and it plays wonderfully!!!

Congrats!!!

7. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Thanks Mark. Did you also try out the one with the J/MM configuration? I tried both yesterday, and this one seem to standout more than the J/MM, but being a fickle person, it's hard to decide.

Roy

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I only tried that one. A few years back I had a Wilkins 4 string Jazz which was also great.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Pat is going to be building my next bass. It's either going to be a double Dark Star job or a more traditional PJ. I haven't figured out yet. He was very cool on the phone and his prices are more than reasonable.

10. +1 on the pics!

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hey Roy:
    NICE looking bass - I love that subtle burst and flamed maple rather than quilt. I gotta get flamed maple someday.

Congrats, and may your GAS be ended!

Also, you can take credit (or BLAME) for my love of Alleva Coppolo basses - the KPB-5 I got is as nice as the LG-6 you sold me!

Dan K.

12. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Congratulations, beautiful bass! I'm a big fan of Pat's basses and happily own 3 of them. Two of the basses are fretted and one is fretless and all 3 basses are just amazing, light, great sounding and play like a dream. The pictures don't really do them justice. Pat gets nowhere near the attention he deserves. Check out his site at www.wilkinsguitars.com

These are pics of one of my Wilkins P/J's which I've been playing for a few years. The 2 new ones are drop dead gorgeous. One is an all black fretted P/J with an Ebony board with Pearl blocks and the other is a Chambered fretless P/J with an Ebony board in '59 burst. Pics of the new ones coming when I upgrade my camera.

George

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I worked directly with Pat on the Pink JO5 to get the paint just the way I wanted. When I called his shop, he answered the phone every time. He made it really easy to get it done. Great guy!

14. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Well, being a fickle Tb'r. I decided to return the Wilkins, and picked up this. Gass is such a pain :)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472074

Attached Files: