1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wilkinson 5 string conversion bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waxcomb, Aug 21, 2004.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Anyone remember the Wilkinson bridge that converted a 4 string to a 5? It replaced the string tree with a string holder and tuned it at the bridge. It required a new nut. Anyone ever use it? Have it? :confused:

2. Hipshot still makes one. It makes the spacing narrower, and the strings on either side of the nut are no longer parallel. I used a Hipshot bridge to convert my 7 string to an 8, which has made the spacing significantly narrower (16mm to 14mm). The switch from 4 to 5 will be even more dramatic.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes it would be. The math is quite simple, assuming a initial 19mm spacing and keeping the outer strings in the same postion relative to the fingerboard, a four-to-five conversion would give you a 14.25mm spacing

(X*(Y-1))/(Z-1)=S
    Where X is the initial spacing, Y the initial number of strings, Z the final number of strings and S the final spacing.

Note: this is core-to-core spacing.

4. Martin Motnik

Martin Motnik

Aug 9, 2005
    Hi Johann,

where can I get the 7to8 conversion kit from hipshot? Is there a way to make a 5to6 conversion?

Thanks a lot!

Martin