Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wilkinson 5 string conversion bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waxcomb, Aug 21, 2004.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Anyone remember the Wilkinson bridge that converted a 4 string to a 5? It replaced the string tree with a string holder and tuned it at the bridge. It required a new nut. Anyone ever use it? Have it? :confused:

2. Hipshot still makes one. It makes the spacing narrower, and the strings on either side of the nut are no longer parallel. I used a Hipshot bridge to convert my 7 string to an 8, which has made the spacing significantly narrower (16mm to 14mm). The switch from 4 to 5 will be even more dramatic.

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes it would be. The math is quite simple, assuming a initial 19mm spacing and keeping the outer strings in the same postion relative to the fingerboard, a four-to-five conversion would give you a 14.25mm spacing

(X*(Y-1))/(Z-1)=S
    Where X is the initial spacing, Y the initial number of strings, Z the final number of strings and S the final spacing.

Note: this is core-to-core spacing.

4. Martin Motnik

Martin Motnik

Aug 9, 2005
    Hi Johann,

where can I get the 7to8 conversion kit from hipshot? Is there a way to make a 5to6 conversion?

Thanks a lot!

Martin