1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wilkinson Bridge and Tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TMart99, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Hey guys.

Anyone familiar with Wilkinson's hardware?

Looking to replace the stock hardware on my Fender MIJ 70's P-bass. Strictly for aesthetic reasons. Don't want to change the tone and playability. Nor do I want anything that highlights the high frequencies.

Guitar Fetish has these tuners....

Wilkinson Elephant Ear tuner Black

Anyone try these? Are they good quality?

And basspartsresource.com has these two bridges (same bridge, different finishes)....

I'm interested in the Black WBBCBK and the Gold WBBCGD

Bass Parts Resource* ::*Wilkinson Bass Bridges

Guitar Fetish also has ........

Black:

Vintage Style Bass Bridge fits Fender Basses Black

Gold:

Vintage Bass Bridge fits Fender Basses Gold

Both the Wilkinson bridges and Guitar Fetish bridges have larger saddles, than the stock bridge on my 70's MIJ P-bass. The saddles on both the Wilkinson and Guitar Fetish bridges are the same circumference/size.

Could that pose a problem for setting string height/action?

Or is it simply an easy fix by lowering the saddles down closer to the base plate?

The prices on these pieces of hardware are very reasonable. Just trying to determine if these are good quality pieces of hardware, or if I should hold out and pay more for Hipshot tuners and bridge.

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I know you're thinking about this change purely for esthetic reasons... but... I think you should perhaps get over the visual part of your quest because what you've already got on your instrument is excellent gear. Not trying to be a jerk about this... just trying to give you the best advice I can.

3. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I know you're right and it is good advice.

But it's pretty much an artistic OCD for me:D

I feel the need to get creative and put my own touches on my basses. That's just the way it is with me. Can't help myself:D

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I currently have the wilkinson tuners and bridge on my parts P. They both work well and the bass holds tune. the saddles on the bridge have gaps between them, so be prepared for some buzzing unless you cram paper (what i did) between the saddles.

if i was you though, i would keep the stock hardware on:p but thats me.

5. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    I have the Wilkinson brass saddles on my Jazz bass and I love them. Better tone all around, IMHO. The pot metal chrome plated saddles my MIM came with sucked. Your MIJ saddles are probably better so your mileage may vary.

6. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    I decided to go with the Babicz FCH 4 (string) bridge, instead.

I'll just save for another week or two.

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I have the Wilkinson tuners on a bass, and they're OK. Not the smoothest, but I'm guessing some lubrication would fix that. Also, they tuning gear shaft, where the string winds on, isn't tapered, so you have to kinda hold the strings in place when restringing. A bit of a pain when the bass also has a quick-release bridge.

8. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    I just secured my 70's P in Oly white & I am planning the same changes. I am going with the Hipshot HB2 tuners in BLK & the Hipshot Type A bridge in black brass. I am aslo going with a dark tort 4 ply guard w/ black screws & knobs. I think it will b a stunner when done. I have had issue with the 201 on my fenders. A nice bridge for the price but it does not let you go as low with the string height as the stock or a Bad@$$ bridge. I am very interested in what you have to say about your Babicz after you get it installed.

9. TMart99

TMart99

Sep 22, 2010
    Rockwell, NC
    Cool! That's sounds like it's going to be sssswweeeeet!

I finally decided on the Hipshot tuners (in Black), too.

I have the Olympic White, also. I'm going for a different look.

I put a Cream pickguard on mine.

Bought a wooden Ebony (Black) thumbrest.

All Black screws for the pickguard.

I have custom wooden (Ebony) Black knobs ( with Cream dual inlay for the knob's position line) being made for me by Roger at THG Knobs. Hopefully he'll finish soon:)

Babicz FCH 4 bridge, in the Black finish.

And Hipshot HB2 tuners , in Black finish.

It's going to be a killer looking p-bass:)