Wilkinson Bridge....what did you replace it with?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mmbongo, Dec 13, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

As usual I'm always looking for a good deal on used basses, and over the years I've had a few with Wilkinson bridges like this one:

320279877533-5.jpg

And I hate it, so whenever I see a bass with it I avoid it. Mainly because when I looked into replacing them years ago, there was nothing that would cover the front screw holes.

So, has that changed? If you have replaced this bridge, what did you replace it with? I think I remember seeing that Babicz bridges are the same size?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, this is right up my alley. Not my handiwork but respectable, nonethless. The bass almost looks familiar, doesn't it?

Babicz_zps19be3174.jpg

Babiczcloseup_zps19da64be.jpg

Footprint matches to a "T".

Riis

3. mmbongo

Sweet! That looks great on there! Good to know, as I've passed on a few basses simply because they had that bridge. Wish I would have checked into this earlier :)

4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Curious, but what didn't you like about it?

5. mmbongo

Main things are that it puts almost no break angle on the strings, and there's nothing to keep the saddles from moving side to side.

6. Tubamark

Tubamark

Jul 10, 2014
    Apologies for reviving an old thread.

I would love to get ahold of a couple more of these bridges. (?!!)
    I can see why folks hated them, but this bridge allows me to dramatically change string-to-string spacing. Once setup, it works fine for me.

During periods when I wasn’t using my ‘96 LB70 fretless, I used the bridge on some of my other basses. There’s no other bridge out there in my price range that has adjustable string spacing.

If anyone reading this has one in their parts box, please PM me!

— Mark

rickreck likes this.