1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will 10" speakers crap out on me at low tunings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flipper43, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    In the area of CGCF, per say?

2. My cheapo Behringer 4x10 has been great, and I play tuned CGCF.

3. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    That's good to know- I like 15" cabs mostly, but I've been thinking of combining some tens with a 15 lately.

4. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I use an ampeg 410hlf, handles drop B quite nice.
    I feel I get more definition with 10's, and that's a good thing when you tuning down, you don't want it to be too muddy.

5. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Do the 4x10's still keep the low end almost as well as a 15? I mean, since there's 4 speakers i'd figure it'd be even a little more efficient.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    It depends on the 10 inch speakers.

7. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Well, I've been thinking about getting a SVT 8x10 lately. The Mesa's look pretty appealing as well..

8. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    speaker diameter has almost nothing to do with frequency response. 10's in general are fine. things like cab tuning, speaker excursion and porting have alot more to do with it. a 10" sub can go just as low (or close) as a big 18" (all else being equal)

9. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    My cabinet has extended low frequency range, so yeah. I wouldn't use a 2x10 or 1x10, I think they would be more likely to fart out. But if you're thinking of using a 15' aswell I think you'd be fine.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    yep. It's kind of like asking "will a Nissan run a fast quarter mile?"
    Depends on which one.

11. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd avoid this if you're looking for lows. Bottoms out around 60hz. The Mesas would probably be a better bet.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    to me, it all depends on what type of 10" that they are, and how many of them you have.

13. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm not looking for extremely deep lows, I just want to be able to carry/ support the 3-piece I play in while being heard. I'm not a big fan of all clean tone anyway.

14. Get enough 10s they can move as much air as an 18. Its more cab tunings.

Randy

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The human ear craps out at about 20hz, so it all depends on who/what is in your audience.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Mostly dogs and elephants.

17. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    I had some horses at my last show.. they nayed me us off the set!

Hahahaha

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have a 4X10 and a 1X18 carvin cab. My rig sounds super sweet, even when I detune, which is about half our set.

19. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have a 2x10 cabinet and it sounds fine. If you really want to push the lows, I'd recommend getting a 15" cab and a crossover.

20. most 210's probably won't get you the low end you are looking for at volume (there are exceptions however ie. eden 210XST) but if you are running any decent 410 you will *probably* get better/deeper low end than from the equivalent 115 model

ps. most cabs with tens are quite capable of handling standard 5string tuning so tuning your 4 string down to C is not gonna kill anything; how loud you play however might...