Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will 15" Speakers Go the Way of the Dinosaur???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 24, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    never one for controversy, but here goes...

IME, 15" speakers just never cut it. they were always too slow and unresponsive for slap, and seemed unable to cut thru a dense mix.

also, the fact that they dont really go no lower in frequency than most 10" loaded cabs or 12" loaded cabs, seems like they'd be phased out for a better performing size.

and tho alot of gents say, they're best in rock, seems like i'm only seeing walls of 6x10 or 8x10's, behind all the sid vicious like pbass pummelin' rockers.

anyone else feel this way?

and if not, enlighten me O' TB Amps Knowledgable & Faithful! :D

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I keep mine around just so when the rest of the band forgets what it feels like to have their insides "turn" I can remind them who controls the low stuff...:D(but in the end I do prefer the 10" speaker)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm all about tone, so I've got to have a 15" and would love to have one of those Accugroove 18" or 21"ers .

Since a single 15" has more cone area than a 2x10" cab, a 15" just sounds so much better to me.

Even the guitarists I play with like it better when I use a 15" rather than any of my cabs with 10"s at a rehearsal. My 10"s are just for cutting through.

What the engineers have done with 12"s over the years for bass is pretty amazing though, when I think of the blackface Fender Bassman I used in the late 60's.

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree with rickbass, I also like the sound of 15's. Not too long ago I had the opportunity to play through two Bag End 15s and fell in love with the sound.

I am currently playing through a Peavey 115BVX, after comparing it with a SWR Goliath III I actually preferred the sound of the Peavey.

Granted I am looking to get rid of the 98lb behemoth in favor of the more portable Bag End cabs.

IMHO I also think that a 15 brings out the warmth of a fretless much better than 10's, although I have never tried my fretless through 12's.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am currently using 2 Bag End 15's(S15X-D, S15D), and they are the most punchy clear sounding cabs I have used. 15's also carry really well in large rooms.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got an Ashdown ABM Mini 1x15 and I'm very happy with the sounds I get from it - not just plodding in the background but everything from soulful grooves to funky slap.

Remember that you need to use your ears, not a ruler, to judge any given cabinet or speaker. The dimensions may give you a clue but, with some of the amazing engineering that can be done, it's better to trust what you hear rather than making assumptions based on the measurements.

Wulf

7. I've always like the sound/tone of 15" speakers. I love my Berg 12's and HT322 which has the 10's too. The tens are for cutting the mix, otherwise I prefer 12" or 15" ! Long live the mighty Fifteen.

:bassist:

8. Not if I can help it!!!

I love 'em! If I had the money and the means of transportation, I would have bagged myself this sweet Ampeg 2x15 cab at a local shop. I love them because they are so warm sounding...and honestly, I don't hear any slowness when I slap on it*.

*Equipment used: Avatar B115 w/ tweeter. Tweeter set at 25%

9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I think that 2-10s actually has more cone area than a single 15. But in the tone area the 15s definitely rule IMO. I cant wait to get a second Bag End 15. Someday soon I hope.

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't use them but I like them. I wish I had a nice 215 cab. !5s are a different flavour, some people like that taste. I'd hate to see them go. It's nice to hear bassists who sound different.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like 15s and 18s myself, but I ended up with some cabs that go as low as most 15s...so I'm waiting for some choice 18 to pop up to further punish any audience brave enough to stand in front of it.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

To me, 15" always sound great alone but get lost in the mix onstage. I own a single 15" cab, but would never use it without its sister 2x10" on top... and I'll point out here that the 2x10" actually has lower frequency response than the 1x15".

But that's me. A number of bassists prefer to gig with 15" or larger... I don't think that'll ever change.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, slam, the math just doesn't support your assertion.

A single 15" has 130 sq. inches of cone surface area.
    A 2x10" has 110 sq. sq. inches.

That's one big reason why my 2x10" gets its little butt spanked by my 15" even though they're both the same make of cabs. ;)

14. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Hmm I must have been thinking of a 4-10 then. Whoops.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I've only had a 15" as part of my main rig for a couple of years.

My first bass combo had a 15" and it was nice. My current practice amp - Ashdown Electric Blue 130 has a 15" and it's lovely!

I've also just moved my rig over from a Trace Elliot 4 x 10 and Trace Elliot 1 x 15, to Ashdown ABM Mini 4 x 8 and ABM Mini 1 x 15!

So the 15" will always be a major part of my setup!

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Product placement is everywhere, whether it is movies, music videos, tv shows or live concerts.
    Some major movies will will have a "name" soft drink somewhere in the movie and be paid to do so.

Many big artists get endorsements from companies just to showcase a product on a Tour. Those same companies are going to want to showcase the most expensive equipment (or the biggest) in the line.
    Cabinet endorsements for tours are usually large cabinets (do you think they want to sell more $200 combos or more $1000 8x10s).

Taller rigs tend to be easier to hear than short rigs. It is also easier for one to hear oneself if the speakers are at ear level rather that blowing under at one's knees. Some PA guys hate to have large subs on stage as the low frequencies may be picked up by other mics (such as drum mics). I have ran into this playing large outdoor shows where I had to turn down (or off) an 18. 10s tend to be tighter than 15s or 18s and don't cause as many phase problems with PA setups.

I think 15s are hear to stay. Just look at PA cabinets - most have 15s in them (not 10s).

17. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I grew up playing through 15 inch speakers. I started with an Ampeg flip top combo (later stolen... grrr...) that had a 15 inch speaker. I use two Bag End S15-D today.

I like the sound of 15 inch speakers and probably always will.

18. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I was an Eden 410 guy for years. Then I discovered that a Bag End S15D was a third of the weight, a third the size and I didn't sacrifice anything in tone or volume.I sold the Eden 410.

19. i would take a wall of 8's, a pair of 12's, or a couple to 10's over a 15, any day. and im all about lows, too.