1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will 2 x 2/12 = 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hey,
    I Know this may seem like a stupid question but I'd rather look a noob than waste money on a setup Im not going to like. My question is if I buy 2 4ohm 212's will it sound the same as a 412 ? Im aiming for Brian Marshalls tone from Alterbridge, he uses a mesa 412 which is just too big, plus I want the full 750 watts out of my head at 2ohms. So I thought about 2 4ohm mesa 212's, what will be different if anything apart form the having 2cabs instead of 1 ?

2. You can bridge down to 2ohms?

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Check his sig, he lists a Mesa Big Block 750 there.

It will sound close enough. There are a lot of relatively minor variables to consider to where it probably won't sound one hundred percent the same, but it'll be quite close.

Let me put it this way: Running your Brian Marshall's own amp set-up compared to running a pair of 2x12 cabs and your own Big Block (I'm assuming that's what he uses), you'll get just as close either way - he'll still sound like him and you'll still sound like you through either of the two stacks. The tone difference might as well be in the fingers rather than the difference that running this 4x12 compared to a pair of 2x12 cabs.

4. all things being equal, if a 212 has the same drivers in exactly half the interior volume of the 412 box, then yes it will be the same tone. the difference is that the 412 is typically 4 ohms, you have the ability to run the same rig at 2 ohms, adding more power and versatility. plus you can always use just one cab or add a 410 or 115 or whatever later if you want.