Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will 200W do it?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Jul 25, 2000.

1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Hi!
    Havent bought my first amp yet.
    Now i wonder, will a 200W transistor combo serve me well as a rehersal-amp and for gigging if I use the line-out into a PA. Then the combo will be used as a monitor/stage volumespeaker.

How does the line-out work? Can i equalize the tone or is it just the "flat" tone from the amp.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I would think that a quality 200 watt combo ala WM 15 would serve you well for rehearsals and small/medium gigs. The DI should help when a P.A. is available and the gig dictates.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think a 200W head will do it - I used one for 13 years now (and upgraded last week, but only for better sound, not more volume).

Regarding line out:
    If it is really called 'line out' on your amp and is a 1/4inch jack, I think it is the EQed signal (the same wich goes to the power amp section of your head).
    If it is called "DI out" or "Balanced Out" and is a XLR jack, you usually have a little switch "pre EQ/post EQ" ore something like that, so that you can chose. If there is no such switch, it is always pre EQ (just the signal of your bass)
    In my experience, it's better to use the Balanced Out and send the pre-EQ signal, because the sound guy usually needs his own different EQ-settings on the PA, wich means he will not be very happy with your EQed signal.

Matthias

[This message has been edited by Matthias (edited July 25, 2000).]

4. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Ok, thanks!
    Its a line-out so probably a post-eq then.

What about micing an amp. I have a shure-mic, its kind of an allround mic. How do you get the best sound. Distance, angle, volume, etc.

Cheers!

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry, I can't help you out here - I've never done this.
    The sense of miking is to get also the sound of the cab - and that's exactly what I DON'T like, others say you can't do it without. It's a different thing with guitars: The influence of the cab is MUCH more important here, actually the pure line signal of a distorted guitar sounds like s... (IMHO)
    Regarding bass: It's easier to use the line signal - plug and play!

Matthias

6. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Yeah i'll probably use the line-out into a PA most of the time. We'll be using a PA almost every time at rehearsal and gigging.

One more thing. The times we dont use a PA (rehearsals) and the drummer wants to have a monitor for the bass. Can I use the line-out into another amp and put it next to him. Or is it dangerous to put line-out into a amp-input?

Many questions.... [​IMG]

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Interesting question, I made experiments with my two amps (Gallien-Krueger MB150 combo and Hughes&Kettner BassBase 400 head)today and that's what I found out:
    The bottom line first: different amps - different circuitries, you will have to find out what works best with your equipment, but usually it's not a problem!

With my amps it's like this:
    The line out of the G-K is not only 'post EQ', it's also 'post master', wich means that the line-out level is influenced by the setting of the master volume, which is not very useful [​IMG].
    But running the 'effect send' into the input of the H&K works well. The signal has about the same level as the bass, so no problem with overdriving the H&K's input.
    The line out of the H&K is as I expected post EQ and pre master, and it's a rather 'hot' signal, I have to use the -10dB pad (=active input) at my G-K and not set the input gain too high, but it also works well.
    BTW: I can also use the 'effects return' as input, in this case I'm running only the power amp (with the disadvantage, that no seperate EQing of the slave amp is possible).
    Tons of information, huh? Hope you find something you need.

cheers!
    Matthias

8. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Thanks a lot for all info, it really helps novice players like me! [​IMG]