Will 210 or 410 cabs work well with a 5 string bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBatch, Aug 9, 2019.

1. BigBatch

BigBatch

Jan 1, 2017
    I’m just an intermediate player but I was thinking about getting a cheap 5 string bass just to mess around with. I was wondering if ten inch cabs will work well with the lower low end of a 5 string. At home I’m using a Hartke 3500 with an Eden xlt410, I also have an Ampeg ba210 at my buddies house for when we get together to jam. I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts and opinions on a set up like these.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pick up an adjustable HPF then you can use your 5 string with any cab.:thumbsup:

3. BigBatch

BigBatch

Jan 1, 2017
    There’s a high and low pass adjustable built in my Hartke, so I kinda get what those do. Thanks.

eriky4003 likes this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So then you can use any cab with your amp's HPF and a 5 string. :thumbsup:

eriky4003 likes this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I used to tour primarily with a D210XLT stacked on top of my rolling rack. I played 6 string electric bass and 6 string electric upright bass which has a much stronger fundamental and I had no problem. I also had a D410XLT and rarely used it. My rig was primarily a personal monitor, as we had a full PA that carried the bass to the audience. If anyone else in the band need more bass, they asked for it in their monitor. If we did not have a good PA I would have used both cabs for bigger gigs. The D410XLT is a very capable cab, but it not a low end monster. If you need to push high SPLs with this cab with a 5 string, an HPF would be a good tool to add to your toolkit.

BigBatch and Stumbo like this.
  6. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Yes.

BigBatch likes this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yes. Speaker diameter means nothing. I have a 2-8" cab that goes lower than any 15 I've ever played through.

8. Unless you are cranking the Bass Knob too much for whatever cab you are using, the speaker's size alone does not matter.
    Each of the cabs you have listed will work great, just do not expect the exact same performance.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You can use any 5 string bass with any amp and cab. The only time you have to watch out is if you turn the volume up to 11, other than that you will have no problems.

The Nameless, BigBatch and bassbully like this.
  10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Most bass cabs don't reproduce 30.8 Hz, but will sound good at around 62Hz, which is what most non superhuman ears hear anyway, and massive rumble with open B fundamental just messes up the foh mix.

Coolhandjjl and BigBatch like this.
  11. BigBatch

BigBatch

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  12. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    How about a 210 and a 410?

4E437120-2257-47BC-91AF-A223C67F440F.jpeg

Stumbo and BigBatch like this.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  14. I've run all sorts of 5 an 6 string basses into all kinds of 2 and 410 boxes. Eden XLT included. And, I've used that head a lot, extremely underrated. Great heads. You should have no issue at all running a 5 string into that rig. It'll sound great. And, if perchance you run very high volumes? Any ill sound effects you might get from tens; cab rattles, etc, you'd prolly get wit 15s or any cabinet. But the XLT series are among the loudest, most efficient production cabs ever made. They were built to handle lows well without needing tons of power. I think you'll be fine. Just don't push the 30hz slider on the eq up too far. Cut it a bit. Along with the filters equipped on the amp, you'll have a great, tight sound that travels a long way.

BigBatch likes this.
  15. BigBatch

BigBatch

Jan 1, 2017
    Thank you, for the reply. I think I’m going to get a fiver and try it out. I do really like both my rigs and I think I got a pretty good deals on all of it. The eden has definitely been around the block a few times but it sounds great.

The Nameless likes this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    With your Hartke/Eden rig, you have an amp which is putting 350 watts at 4 ohms into a cab that is rated at 700 watts. While its an older cab, at these power levels it should just be ticking over.

BigBatch likes this.
  17. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    see my signature for my pedal board

Stumbo likes this.
  18. I'm into old gear myself Ha! In fact, I am old gear, myself. I truly think that rig is spectacular. The 210 you MAY have to do some extra eq work to get the signal to sit in it for volumes against drummers. But using yer ears, and yer noggin, even it will sound great. I wouldn't worry a bit. I used a Hartke 350 with far smaller cabs on huge stages in my time. Wit my 5 an 6 strings playin metal. And lots else. Those XLT cabs are hard to beat. I might even suggest bringin the 410 to play against the drummer, bring the 210 fer home rehearsal. Learn how to get yer tone thru each in their more natural environs

BigBatch likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021