Will 220w be enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berries13, Mar 14, 2005.

1. berries13

Mar 14, 2005
    I recently switched to bass cause a band i know needed a bass player. Our guitarist plays out of a 50w Mesa Boogie single rectifier. I'm looking at a 220w Ampeg BA-210 bass combo. Now i'm not real good on guitar watts to bass watts but will this combo be enough. We play shows quite often so i need to know if this will work or not. And if someone could also explain the guitar watts to bass watts that would be awesome.
  2. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would recommend more. That Ampeg combo isnt bad sounding, but I wouldnt wanna gig against a rectifier with it. Plus its kind of overpriced.... to the tune of $700 I think. You could get much more power for cheaper, and still have a good tone.

A lot of the selection will have to do with what kind of music you play, and what sort of tone your looking for. If you want a punchier tone, deeper tone, or something in the middle.

As far as guitar vs bass.... the general idea is that you'd like to have 4-6X times the power of your guitar player at least, just to have a little headroom on your amp. But... another factor of this is the size of your speakers, and amount of speaker surface. The BA-210 really doesnt have much to offer. You'd probably want something along the lines of a 410, 212, or maybe even a 115 if it floats your boat. Of course, you could pick up any combination of cabs as well.... such as a 210 stacked on a 115.

Tell us what kind of music you play and how much money you have to work with. That will help immensly :)
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It will work if you plan on using it for your personal stage monitor. Put it up on a chair or table right behind your head. Should be plenty loud enough. Your bandmates will hear your bass out of the regular stage monitors and the audience will hear you through the PA. ;)
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

..... but would you by a $700 "personal monitor"? :eyebrow: :p
  5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've seen some guys spend $1500 on a personal stage monitor (combo amp)!! :eek:
  6. berries13

Mar 14, 2005
    The style of music is somewhere between A Perfect Circle and Deftones. I would like to keep the price somewhat between $500-$700, but i want my moneys worth if i'm gonna pay that much or more.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ah, the Deftones.... I truly miss Chi Cheng's massive dreads. :cool:. Chi used a 2Pro when I saw them live... but... how many of us can afford that? :spit:

$500-$700 is an acceptable budget (if there is such a thing). With that amount of money... I'd recommend a single standalone cab, just to stretch your money out. And when I think of cheap standalone cabs... I think of the Avatar B212. I know I recommend it to a lot of people, but I've heard the thing, and it just fits the bill so well. Hits low and also packs a punch.... rated a hefty 1000Watts RMS. That would put you in about $325. and it'd probably benefit you to get an 8ohm cab... so that you can expand in the future maybe... but maybe a single cab is all you will ever need.

That's about $300-$400 for a head. That's kind of a slim budget... but I guess it isnt too bad. If it was my situation, I would save up a little bit, and get a preamp and power amp. That would give you a lot of power for less money (proportionally) than most heads you will find on the market.

If you have time to shop around... I'd recommend a used QSC RMX850 power amp. That would give you 600Watts into 8ohms or 830Watts into 4ohms. New its $300... but used, you could land one for $150 with some luck... check eBay, if your interested.

You'll need a preamp... and the most economic preamps out there are the BBE BMax and Sansamp RBI. Both are great sounding and fairly versatile. Each are $300 new.... but used you could probably pull off $200 or less.

If your in a hurry.... or maybe you dont wanna bother going pre-power (despite the advantages).... maybe you could pick up a Hartke head or Ashdown head through Avatar and get the free shipping. The Ashdown MAG is 300Watts. That's not a whole ton.... but I think it will be spread out as far as it can go with a B212. However, you'd almost HAVE to get an 8ohm cab if you did this, in order to get the full 300Watts.

Again... I'd recommend preamp - poweramp. Do a little research, if you must.
  8. Make that a 4 Ohm cab, to get the full 300 watts.
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    oops! :eek:

Yeah...... thats what I meant to say :p

You'll have to get a 4ohm cab to get the full 300Watts from the MAG...... is what I was sposed to say... :ninja:
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I run an Ampeg BA115HP 220/Watts and it's loud enough for rehearsal, jam sessions or a small venue. Above that you would need more that what the BA115HP offers. It is a great sounding combo though and it uses a compression driver that hardly hisses at all.

As for the price you can get them around $570-$600.00 @ GC. I paid $570.00 out the door for a brand new one at Guitar Center in San Bernardino, CA.

I got a good deal on mine but I agree with whoever said they are a little over priced. I love the Ampeg tone I get from it but in its price range it should have the ability to ad an extesion cab and it should have an effects loop as well.

That being said you can get an Avatar 212 4 ohm cabinet and an Ashdown MAG300 (300 watts) head for close to the same price ($600.00 or so). This should be a louder set up and offer more flexibility and the ability to ad another cabinet (provided you go with 8 ohm cabs). I believe Figjam uses this set up.

If I had not needed my amp ASAP like I did when I bought it in January I would have gone with the Avatar / Ashdown set up.
  11. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Used GK head, with the Avatar cab.

Definately try to play Gallien Krueger though, because they aren't for everyone.

You can get an 800RB (300/100 watts bi-amp) for less than $400 used ($350ish, usually); or a used 1001RB-II or 700RB-II (600 and 480 watts at four ohms plus 50 watts bi-amp, respectively) for about the same price.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i just used 225w at my jazz band concert against a full line of horns, piano, and a drumset... i was rockin the place.

I stacked my friends peavey TKO on top of my peavey TNT, and used a y-cable to plug into the amps... was plenty loud for that type of situation. We also went throught he house, but didnt need to... my stage volume was so loud that i was maybe at 20% on the house mixer.
  13. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I know some people are going to not like me for saying this, but I got my amp before I knew what was going on. I preordered a Behringer BX3000X from zzounds.com for $150. That's teh blemish stock. And I will get an avatar 210 neo, $250. But I am getting it because it is cheap and I am learning. I don;t need to play in a band.
  14. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Jazz Vs Deftones.

Different Animals.
  15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I gigged with 220 watts and 2-10's for five years and it was fine. Depends how loud you are and the size of rooms you play. I currently use 280 watts into a single 15 and I have more than enough power, and that's playing with a loud drummer. At one point I used a 150 Sunn Model T and it too was never pushed.

You'll be fine. I don't know the artists your band plays and it really doesn't matter. What matter is how loud you play. Also, I think the Ampeg is a better quality amp than an Ashdown Mag.