1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will 250K pots get rid of the high end I'm hearing?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SteveC, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a Squire 70's Modified Jazz. Well, it's really not anymore as I have put a BadAss bridge, HipsShot tuners, and DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in it. I left the stock pots/knobs/jack plate.

I have done these same mods before but this bass sounds brighter. I can roll off some high but I don't like what it does to the rest of the tone. I like to run a jazz full bore. Would 250 K pots do the trick for me?

2. black lake

black lake Guest

Apr 3, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the VM Jazz fretless and have put a pair of ultra jazz pups and redid the electronics. The stock unit had 500k pots, but I swapped them out for CTS 250K pots. Be warned, the CTS units are a lot larger than the stock pots, so you may have to chisel out a bit of space for the neck side of the control cavity (extra 1/8" so it is still covered by the control plate). I sheilded the control cavities and put a 0.022 cap on the tone control. I notice that the sound is not so bright, but rolling off the tone control a bit helps control those highs and upper mids(advantage of the 0.022 vs 0.047 cap). It works for me, but as always, you milage may vary.

3. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Good advice from black lake. I had similar issues with my Yamaha BB404. The 250k swap did the job. I'd try the pots first, and if you need more rolloff, switch the cap out for the .022.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Try the cap first; it's cheaper and simpler.