Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will 2x112 cabs be enough for a big gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Jan 24, 2006.

1. i have a ashdown abm500 evoII head and eden D112XLT cab

i was after portability at the time and wasn't expecting to do any decent sized gigs for a while.

but now i got a outdoor gig, i'm guessing there will have to be a PA setup, the guys in my band still haven't got full details yet..

but now i'm thinking i might get a 2nd 112 cab now.
    but its come across my mind maybe i was better off geting a 410?

so will a 2x112 cabs be fine for most gigs and virtually do the job of a 410 in loudness?

may seem like stupid questions, but i'm a newbie in the bass world. and deciding if i should just get another 112 or buy a 410 cab to use for big gigs and keep the 112 for smaller gigs. that would cost me a bit more though :(
    thanks

2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I think that depends on a variety of other things.
    My Eden 212xlt is not quite loud enough for my band, but it's only 8 Ohms (so I'm not getting full use of the amp) and we're too damned loud. For most bands (other than hard rock, big drums, 2 guitars) it would be fine... (and shamefully sounds a bit better than the 4 Ohm 4x10 cab I actually use).

3. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Another option to consider ... if other bands are on the show , contact their bass player and see if you could use your head and their cab . Or rent a cab for the show . If you only occasionally do big outdoor shows that require more/bigger cabs , save your money . ;)

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would think so! Years ago we mostly used 2x15 type cabs and that was fine! Why not 2 1x12's? Speakers are so much more efficient today than back then!

5. I think 2 1x12 cabs would be enough for most shows, assuming you're not playing huge arenas or big outdoor shows. I think you might consider a 4x10, though, based on the sound you will get. A 4x10 coupled with a 1x12 should sound pretty nice.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    get a 210. I have an aguilar 112. And actually, two of them did really good at pretty major gigs.

But when I was doing hard rock against a Mesa Mark III, it was that aguilar and an EA VL 210 powered by a GK 1001rbII. I can make them tell me to turn it down whenever. Or I can just drown them out.

7. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    My view was always this:

112 is fine for most gigs. When they get larger than what your 112 can handle, there should be PA support to handle the rest. If you anticipate larger gigs without PA support, only then would I spent the extra dough on another cab, even then I think I would add another 112 or a compact 115.

I sold my heavy 410 cab and went to 2 smaller cabs, first a pair of 112s, then sold one of them and added a compact 15.

That way, for my smaller gigs I would only carry in a single 35 lb 112 cab and head. I like the flexibility of the smaller multiple cabinets.

K

8. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have a 2X10 and a 1x15, which has pushed a lot more sound than I need for gigs I've played. A couple times, the PA was hooked up and I had to turn down. So, I guess what I'm saying is that you should be fine :)

Of course, I guess most of it has to do with how much wattage you're pushing...

9. First things first:
    The Ashdown can go down to 4 ohm minimum. Then it delivers the most power: 575 watt rms.
    Your D112XLT is 8 ohm and can handle 250 watt RMS.
    So to get the maximum power out of the amp you need to plug in another cab of 8 ohm, 300 watt RMS. If you do it with a 4x10" then you will be louder then with another 12" cab. But the 4x10" translate the power in the low-mids, together with the low end of guitars and synth's, while the 12" will go under them. The latter won't sound as loud as the 4x10" when you play alone, but you will hear the 12" better when you play with others.

I hope for you there will be a PA. Otherwise the Ashdwon won't be enough, no matter how many cabs you connect .....

10. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1 on both of these comments. That said, I'd recommend adding a 2x10 to the top of your 1x12. If you match the ohm ratings, you should get plenty of output along with your 1x12. Plus, you would have a better portability quotient and probably better tone (IMO) than if you were to add another 1x12.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    2 112s with at least 500 watts should be enough in most situations

12. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Funny you should mention it...

I purchased an ABM 500 head in 2002 along with one 2x10 cab. In a rehearsal situation with a loud drummer, Marshalls, etc, I was actually surprised that I could be heard with the one 2x10. Anyway, I recently purchased another 2x10, and the difference is astounding. Whereas I was really pushing the head to be heard with a lone 2x10, adding another 2x10 and running the amp at 4 ohms was a major difference. The amp really gets cooking at 4 ohms and gives you so much headroom you'll plotz. In fact, I am too loud. If I run the gain at 10 o'clock and the volume past 12 o'clock I drown everyone out. And the punch is amazing...that's the nice thing about Ashdown...everyone knows you're in the room. They can feel and hear you. Clearly.

So, for your situation, I would say absolutely go with another cab. I've been thinking of adding a couple of 12's to my rig just so that I'd have some options. If the Avatar line would fit in my trunk, I'd probably get a couple. They're cheap and everyone raves about them here.

My feeling is that the Ashdown and 2 12's will get you there and back.

13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Always a good idea to put an addendum at the bottom of the contract: "Club owner/Promoter to provide PA system". Have them sign next to it. ;)

14. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the same load (ohms), same power output, same size speakers, two speakers sound twice as loud to the human ear as one speaker.

15. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I have a Peavey BAM210 that I use with an Alembic F-1X pre. I was thinking about adding an Aggie 112 for kicks, and also use it as a small gig/practice rig with a small poweramp (SoundTech or Stewart). Then I thought about biamping.
    Has anyone tried a single 12 as just low end? The top would then go to the 210. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Larry

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I doubt it is the extra power you are noticing. I have two 4 ohm 1x12 wizzys. The amp puts out 500W at 4 ohms and 500W at 2 ohms. Yet there is a huge difference when I use two wizzys.

I think the extra speaker area matters way more than the slight increase in power.

17. gaffster

gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    florida
    Basically I believe this is true right at the cabinent, but not sure.
    I do know that the advantage diminishes rapidly with distance because acoustic waves basically attenuate by square law (on the plus side this is a bit less true with bass frequencies).
    Twice as far = 1/4 times as loud..four times a far = 1/16 as loud.

Its so hard to be load at a distance. Also two speakers can induce phase cancellation in certain environments.

18. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Either another 112 or a 210 would balance nicely asssuming similar sensitivities. I opted for a 112/210 for flexiblity.

19. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I've biamped a 2x10 on one side and a 1x12 on the other and prefered to bridge my amp mono and run everything full range. For some reason I got better sound that way. YMMV!

Good luck,

Chad

20. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    +1