1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will 410 sufice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GudsBarn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. GudsBarn

GudsBarn

Jul 31, 2012
    Bergen Norway
    Hi!
    Im currently thinking of buying an Ampeg SVT-cl with a 410 cab included (used). What Im wondering is, as the title states, will a 410 cab give enough power and punch?

I play in a metal band (dyst), but i also play a variety of other genres, in weddings, at partys and in church, so Im thinking the 410 is more suitable for my "all purpose use", but it would be nice with some outside opinions from people with more knowledge than me!

The follow up question would be; wich cab should I ad? 115 or 210? Or should I sell the 410 and bye a Frige (810)?

Thanks!

2. I would recommend getting an additional 4x10 cab to use with the included one. I have tried different configurations that include 15's and 18's; they have a lowness of notes, but just don't have the punch of a 4x10. There have been some discussions as of late about not mixing different cabinet/driver combinations.

3. Which 410 comes with it?

+1 to not mixing cabs.

4. a 410 should be able to handle almost any gig a long as the volume is within reason. I mainly use a pair of 15's now but before I either used a 410 or 610 cabinet with great satisfaction in the volume department.

As for power and punch that depends on the 410 cab that's included with the head but there are a number of 410's on the market that can give you what you want.

5. GudsBarn

GudsBarn

Jul 31, 2012
    Bergen Norway
    Ok, so no mixing of cabs. The cab included is an Ampeg-SVT-410HE

6. See that is a 8 Ohm cab, and I wouldnt use only one with that head.

7. the 410HE is an 8ohm cab (i think). you could potentially run the SVT-CL with it at a low volume but be careful (I wouldn't gig with it). The SVT-CL has a total impedance or 4 or 2 ohms so optimally you'd either want to run 1 or 2 - 4ohm cabs or 2 - 8ohm cabs. If you're 410HE is a 4ohm cab you're good to go.

8. GudsBarn

GudsBarn

Jul 31, 2012
    Bergen Norway
    Aah, you are both correct, its an 8ohm cab. So you would recommand that I buy an identical cab to the one included to get the best and "cheapest" result? Or should I sell the 410 included and buy an 810? This can turn out a bit more expencive than I intended! :p

9. 6 of one half dozen of another. Figure out what is cheapest, and go with it.

10. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd run 8ohm 210s. Start with 2 (4ohms) and you can expand to 4 (2ohms). The Ampeg AV210 are supposed to have the same tuning as an 810.

11. I have both an 810e and a 410HEn - I like the 410 but I LOVE the fridge. I am no cab/amp expert, but the fridge unquestionably sounds great and when it comes to moving, the towel bar and wheels make it a breeze.

I think if you are going to end up with 8 10's (2 x 410 or fridge), you might as well go fridge.

12. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i'd do a 215 or an 810
    maybe two 410s though moving an 810 is easier

i wouldn't get a cabinet with less drivers that can handle alot more power and have higher excursion as the CL probably won't have enough power to drive them to their full potential...

13. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    If you want, you could get an Ampeg 4x10 HLF (HornLowerFrequency's)which is rated @ 4 ohms. It is a great cab by itself that can handle those low notes and can max at 500 watts. It is a bit louder than just one 4x10 HE, which is best run double.

I heard SWR Goliath 4x10's are also pretty good, again 4 ohms so its run singularly and its rated @ 4 ohms. Look used for this.

Good Luck!

14. GudsBarn

GudsBarn

Jul 31, 2012
    Bergen Norway
    Thanks for all the replays! Im not jet sure what Ill end up doing right now, but I know I eventually will end up with a frige ;)

15. You won't be sorry.

16. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    For the type of music you play the 810 is the way to go, not only sonically but visually as well. Looking the part is part of the performance.

17. GudsBarn

GudsBarn

Jul 31, 2012
    Bergen Norway