1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

will 5 string split-coil jb-pu´s really cancel all hum??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bench, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    many hum-cancelling pu´s for 5string jazz basses use a split coil design (sadowsky/dimarzio/nordstrand...).

but will all the hum be canceled even if the two coils are of different sizes (one for 2 strings and one for 3...)??

thx, bench

2. Domespeed

Domespeed

Oct 7, 2010
    Germany
    ...ich kenne zwei Pickups dieser Art: Die Nordstrands und die Fender/Suhr mit den einzelnen dicken PolePieces.
    Und bei beiden ist es so wie du vermutest: Der hum ist zum allergrößten Teil weg, aber nicht ganz...

greets from Germany :)

3. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey

Lol yeah what he said.

4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I'd love to know what dome speed said as I have a Fender Jazz 5 with Nordstrand split coils

5. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    habs verstanden... ;) Danke!

greets from germany, too

6. Domespeed

Domespeed

Oct 7, 2010
    Germany
    what I was saying is that I do know the Nordstrands and the old Fender/Suhr pickups with the single pole pieces, and both of them cancel most of the hum, but not 100% - I would say 90%...

interesting: this applies for the single pickups, the hum is totally gone when used as a pair