1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will 55-110 Destroy frets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMick, May 11, 2011.

1. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    I'm thinking about getting my Fender 1987 Power Jazz Special set up with Ernie Ball Power Slinky Round Wounds for low tunings only, will this destroy my frets?

Thank for your time.

2. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    NO!

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    There's no reason to assume that different tunings or string gauges will have any negative toll on your frets.

I almost never hear of fret issues that aren't directly related to a combination of Warwick's "bell brass" frets and steel strings.

If you're playing excessively hard (extreme ie, using a hammer to fret your strings and punching them with a bowling ball to pluck), you're going to wear your frets down. Steel rounds (not your those Ernie Balls you mentioned) are a bit harder on frets than their nickel counterparts, but with anything resembling a good technique, you wont be doing much more damage than any string does normally.

tl;dr - string gauge doesn't hurt your frets as much as excessively poor technique and harsh steel strings on inferior metal frets does.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    No. The composition of the strings... and whether they are roundwound or flatwound... will impact the life of your frets far more than the gauge ever will.

5. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks for the answers!