Will 60 80 100 120 guage strings fit on a standard four string nut and bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by volumefiend, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Will 60 80 100 120 guage strings fit on a standard four string nut and bridge? I tune to B, and I always used to get heavy sets of GHS boomers, which lose their brightness and break easily. I am now looking to get a light 5 string set of DR lo-riders, the B being 120 guage. I am wondering if these will fit on my thumb 4 without filing. Thanks.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I know that the Warwick bridge has trouble any non tapered strings larger than .125, so with only a .120 you are fine on that end.

Just a quick question, is your Warwick a older, brass nut model? If it is the nut height adjustment screws are interchangeable, i.e. could be easily be changed for a BEAD setup. These screws are available from Dana B. Goods (Warwick distributor for the states), when I needed a new set for my Corvette they sent all four free of charge.

If you have a newer model you* can always file the nut a little bit.

*The files for this work are precision tools, therefore they are expensive (40-60 dollars) for something you might not use often, it might be better just to get a shop do it for you. I would say that would probably run you 10-20 dollars.
  3. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    well...i got a .105 for my bass, and i had to kind of pull hard to get the string through on the bridge...i'm guessing beyond a .110, it wouldnt work out for me without modifying the strings/bass/whatever you're supposed to do....

but anyway, i dont know, why dont you just get a 5 string if you always/near always play in B :)
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    not really dude, you will probably have to widen the nut slots. and then if you decide to go back you're going to have to get a new nut made. if it's a cheap bass, who really cares, but if it's a nice one you might want to consider just buying a 5-string. I hope you know how to adjust a truss rod too, because you will HAVE to do that.
  5. Ya, its a newer warwick thumb 4 bolt on with the just-a-nut II.

I always have my basses set up professionally anyways...I don't want to screw anything up. It is a nightmare intonating and adjusting.
  6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I don't know anything about that particular nut, I don't own a Warwick, but you will definitely spend a lot of time re-intonating the bridge, adjusting the neck refief, and setting the saddle heights.