Will a .145 gauge work for a low F# string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kraig99, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Will it?

2. do you feel that you need the F# ? ;)

it will work, but it will sound like doodoo, coz your pickups aren't made for those freq's

3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Give it a try and see if you like it. May not fit in your bridge slot or nut though.
    Doc

4. IT might be a little floppy. John Turner is a 7 and 8-string bass expert around TB, and i remember him saying that he prefers a .150 taperwound. But don't take my word for it.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i would even prefer them larger - i'm working on getting a .168" made for me, and i'm also going to get ahold of some 165"s that dean markley are making for a friend of mine.

as for "the pickups aren't made for those frequencies" that's a pile of ... stinky waste products right there. ;) any pickups should be able to transmit accurately down to DC. now whether your amp will handle it is a different story all together.

6. Wow, who is making your .168? That is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coincidentally, what gauge string do you use for the B???? I like .130 mated to a 35'' scale bass, but I am too new to really know what i am talking about, LOL.

as for the amp handling the frequencies, wouldn't you need good-quality 18 inch cabs for that? I like the sound of tens with a fifteen or two for my basses, but i would think you would need an 18 or two for the F#, as the note is so incredibly low.