Will a .145 gauge work for a low F# string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kraig99, Jan 18, 2002.

1. do you feel that you need the F# ? ;)

it will work, but it will sound like doodoo, coz your pickups aren't made for those freq's
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Give it a try and see if you like it. May not fit in your bridge slot or nut though.
  3. IT might be a little floppy. John Turner is a 7 and 8-string bass expert around TB, and i remember him saying that he prefers a .150 taperwound. But don't take my word for it.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i would even prefer them larger - i'm working on getting a .168" made for me, and i'm also going to get ahold of some 165"s that Dean Markley are making for a friend of mine.

as for "the pickups aren't made for those frequencies" that's a pile of ... stinky waste products right there. ;) any pickups should be able to transmit accurately down to DC. now whether your amp will handle it is a different story all together.
  5. Wow, who is making your .168? That is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coincidentally, what gauge string do you use for the B???? I like .130 mated to a 35'' scale bass, but I am too new to really know what i am talking about, LOL.

as for the amp handling the frequencies, wouldn't you need good-quality 18 inch cabs for that? I like the sound of tens with a fifteen or two for my basses, but i would think you would need an 18 or two for the F#, as the note is so incredibly low.