Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will a 2x 12' cab work as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Nov 25, 2004.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    hi everyone...!

since I hate the fact that I need someone to help me carry my heavy 4 x 12' marshall cab I am thinking about having someone build me a 2 x 12' cab... :cool:

I am also tired of carrying this huge cab and being put in the DI when I play live... at the moment I only use the cabinet as a stage monitor :crying:

what do you think about such a cab?

will it work well as a standalone cab??

how will the sound change having two speakers instead of four (assuming the speaker type and volume per speaker are the same) ??

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Depending on the speakers and cab design, it would probably work great.

However, you have to look at the impedence of the new cab versus your old one. If your existing cab is a 4 ohm cab and your new one results in an 8 ohm cab, you'll lose half the power from your amp and you'll only have half the speaker mass pushing air.

I recently took the speakers out of my 410 cab and made a 210 combo and now am making another 210 extension cab out of the other two speakers.

My original 410 was a 4 ohm cab. It had four 4 ohm speakers in it. In my new combo, it's wired as an 8 ohm cab. My new extension cab will be an 8 ohm as well, which will utilize the full power of my amp when both are plugged in.

My head is a 400 watt head into 4 ohms. So when I only run my combo, my head only puts out roughly 200+ watts into two 10" speakers (the 8 ohm cab). That's half the watts and half the speaker mass, so it's not as loud. When I add the 8 ohm extension cab to my combo, my amp then puts out the full 400 watts (200 watts into each 8 ohm 210 cab) as it sees the full 4 ohm combined load of both cabs.

It's much louder then because I've got twice the speaker mass and roughly twice the wattage. However, the combo alone sounds wonderful and is quite loud on it's own. In fact because I made the cab and tuned it myself, it actually has a better tone than my 410 ever did.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I feel that 2x12 makes the best standalone. I have one and it works great.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have a 2 x 12 Bag End cab and it smokes... I am very suprised that more people dont use them?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    2x12" in the same cab or in seperate makes a killer rig.

I even used a single 12" with a good PA over the years (it was a bagend and I had a single 15" to add for bigger gigs).

Yes, your tone will change a bit (different drivers, different cabinet size, etc).

6. Two 1x12 are easier to haul and carry, especially when stairs are involved.

You can mix 'n match the number of cabs required for a given gig. An intimate coffee house has no need for a 4x10 or 2x12, but a 1x12 will do the job nicely. With half as much to haul in.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    amen bro, amen
    FWIW bag end's 2x12 is one of the only 2x12's that sounds like 2 of its 1x12's together. most manufacturer's 1x12 and 2x12 cabs differ quite a bit sonically.

8. Another vote for two single 112 cabs...not the solution for everything but most of them time for me.