Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will a 2x12 alone handle a low A at high volumes???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I did a search but, nothing really answered me well.

The title says it mostly, But to be specific, The Avatar B212 NEO. This is for playing at low levels as well as with a band.

Or will the Delta B210 and SB112 together better handle a low "A" at all volumes? Im looking for portability as well, so the B212 plus another cab is out of the question.

Ive got an Ashdown MAG 300H.

Thanks in advance.

(On a side note, I do not play KoRn songs(even though I like the band), Im getting a 7 string and I plan on tuning it ADADGCF.)

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I guess it all depends on how you define 'handle'. Unless you can put that in objective measureable terms, you won't get any answers that ar very helpful.

3. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    With my deifnition of "high volume", generally speaking, no.

4. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    A single Genz-Benz NeoX212 will rattle your fillings with a low B from a five-string, and has great tone from top to bottom---will blow away anything else for less than three times its price.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The Aguilar GS212 also has VERY good low end. We do flat tuning so my 5 string is in Low B Flat (as close to low A as you can get) and the cab handles it EXTREMELY well.

6. Ok, The Genz Benz is WAAAYYYY out of my rice range, $720 bucks. But the Aguilar is bit more in my range. And I think my GC has one in stock, So I'll be heading there and maybe i can get them to bring the price down $200 or so.

I still want to know about the Avatar though.

And also will a 2x10 and 1x15 project a low A well.

Thanks for the feedback so far. :D

7. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    The single 15 will be your saving grace in that situation but, has been pointed out previously, will be only as "loud" as it can be. Will you be able to hear it? Straight skippy you will but it might not be as clear or pronounced as you want.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Is a Schroeder 1212 out of your price range? Not sure how much they are.. They'll easily handle that low A.

9. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    A schroeder 1212 is $739 US so probably out of his price range!

10. booch

booch

Aug 12, 2004
    I have recently purchased an Eden 2*12. I think on Ebay you could find one at a reasonable price. In my experience, they rattle the house; at least, my low B's were pretty full and clean.

It makes sense however to try one at high volume before buying it. I have only played higher volume shows together with the Eden 2*10 XST, which does have a mean low end. Maybe it was the 2 cabs together I am speaking about. Middle and low volumes, you're going to love your Eden 2*12, for sure.

Where are the Eden 2*12 fanatics when you need'em?... :)

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I was in the US and was looking for great value cabs I´d take a good look at www.drbasscabs.com That site gives me GAS.

12. Bad things happen to bass reflex speakers below the tuning freq, at some point the speaker uncouples from the box. It would be very difficult to say whether that would or would not happen to a particular box without trying it. Guess wrong, you'll fart like an old guy on a high fiber granola-fruit diet.

Randy

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i have to agree that the aggie 12" seem to do really well with the extreme lows. they arent as loud as some 12" speakers, but they're really optimized for low end, not super efficiency.

more to the point, it's impossible to generalize about what speaker configuration will do X. There are hundreds of variables in speaker design, cabinet design, etc. Put 20 2x12 cabs side by side and you will be surprised at how different they all are.

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    As long as you have an amp that focusses energy in the higher lows (or lowest low-mids), rather than down at the fundamental, you'll be just fine! Boost at 80-200hz instead of 30. It'll sound fatter and more present, and keep you from blowing up your speakers. My amp has a "30hz filter" that rolls off the extreme lows, and I think it sounds better with the filter on. My band covers a Filter song played pickstyle on the low-B, so don't go thinking I'm not going for a deep, fat rock sound.

Overall, IME, a top quality 15 does a better job of sounding deep on the lowest of notes, but a 212 will work. My experience is from Eden's D115XLT and an Aguilar GS212. I no longer have the 115, and really miss it, actually.

15. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

16. On a limited budget I would stay away from cheap stuff at GC and look for good quality used cabs online at Bass Central, Bass Northwest, Bass Emporium and other reputable places. Call them up, tell them what you need and what your budget is and see what they can do for you.