1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will a 2x12 cab be better for drop C then a 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ka_Ve_86, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I currently am playing in a band with drop C tuning...
    The gear im using is a sansamp bass driver through a LMII into a eden 410xlt i also have a eden 115xl which i use for practice.

I have received plenty of compliments on my tone but i find in practice when using the 115 i get more of a full sound it just seems to sit better with the drop c tuning

Just wondering if i purchase a 2x12 cab or something like the el whappo could i get the best of both worlds in a cab the gives me a nice full low end but also the clarity that i get from me eden 410xlt?

2. It might have better frequency response, but might be not as loud

3. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

aguilar db 410. i use drop c tuning as well. this cab works great. I had an ampeg 610hlf, mesa 610 powerhouse and this thing is just as loud.

700 watts
    Impedance: 4 or 8 ohms
    Frequency Response: 40 Hz - 16 kHz
    Sensitivity: 101 dB 1W 1M
    Max SPL: 130 dB

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Generallyspeaking I would say that the 2x12 will have more mids, therefore will be better audible in the mix.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Driver size does not matter, IMHO.

What matters is what the drivers can do in the enclosure that they are in. No simple answer to that.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    from what i've heard from users of the accugroove cabs, they're an excellent choice for anything. but those two eden cabs don't have much of a difference in low end response so you're not gaining any low end by using the 115. just has a tone you dig.

but the cheap way, and what seems to be working for you, is just what you're doing. you're getting compliments...nothing more you can ask for. use the 410 on gigs and the 115 at practices. or maybe use the 115 on a gig by itself now and then. if it works better in practice, no reason it wouldn't work onstage unless you're big volume freaks. or just buy an accugroove. hey, it's only money.

:eyebrow: